Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Nicholas Lesiecki <ni...@eblox.com> on 2001/12/31 19:06:48 UTC

Torque learning curve WAS: RE: Jakarta Persistence Framework?

Amen on the learning curve. Erik Hatcher recommended Torque to me, and I
tried checking it out...I had no idea where to start. So I'm continuing to
use EJB/CMP--which does in fact work just fine with Struts.

Kudos to all committers on keeping Struts' domain of expertise limited.

Cheers,

nick

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Erik, that did help. I got Torque to build, but the build-test
failed. I may have to go back and be sure I have the right versions of
all the JARs. It wanted a later version of Village for example, along
with some others that I didn't have handy.

D:\jakarta\CVS\jakarta-turbine-torque\bin\test\rttest\build-torque.xml:97:
taskdef class org.apache.torque.task.TorqueDocumentationTask cannot be
found
--- Nested Exception ---
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.torque.task.TorqueDocumentationTask

-Ted.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On 1/2/02 2:43 PM, "Ted Husted" <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Perhaps you might consider starting a top-level Torque sub-project
> sooner than later, in the hope of attracting volunteers from outside the
> Turbine community, who could help broaden the package.

It's definitely part of the overall plan, the decoupling has of course taken
longer than I expected but I do feel it requires some work before even
trying to promote it to top-level subproject. We are actually trying to get
a comprehensive testbed in place so that we can prepare for some aggressive
refactoring and also allow others to contribute in a way where they can be
assured they haven't broken anything. This will definitely help to allow
more people to contribute and hopefully push Torque to critical mass where
it can be a subproject in its own right.

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

Re: Torque learning curve WAS: RE: Jakarta Persistence Framework?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@openprivacy.org>.

RE: Torque learning curve WAS: RE: Jakarta Persistence Framework?

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
> Pluggable connection pools...

If you make it use a DataSource to obtain connections then you can use
a DataSource wrapper for the pool and a Connection wrapper for the
pooled connection.

Obvious advantages:
 - That is what most database connection pools already do;
 - You can always wrap other database connection pools this way;
 - You can also use Application Server DataSources.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar

http://www.krankikom.de
http://www.ruhronline.de

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.

Ted Husted wrote:

> Thanks, Martin.
>
> Personally, I would say its not so much a documentation issue, as a
> big-picture example issue. I've read the documention, and it looks like
> all the pieces are are there, but I can't see the forest for the trees.
>
> Something I find helpful is to "walk-through" an application. One of the
> first things I did on Struts is do a tour of Craig's example.
>
> http://husted.com/about/scaffolding/example-tour.html
>
> We now bundle this with the example itself in the distribution.
>
> If someone could do a standalone Turbine example in a WAR, I'd be happy
> to do the same here.

i'd be happy to help with the app ;-)

> Another early document that I found helpful was a brief but complete
> overview, again to help with the big picture.
>
> http://husted.com/about/scaffolding/overview.htm
>
> If you like, I have a small "article posting" application available.
> Perhaps we could convert this to Torque?
>
> http://husted.com/struts/resources/artimus.zip

i'm converting a swing app i wrote 2 years ago at the moment and it works fine.
if it's finnished i'll take a look at your app

martin

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Martin.

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@openprivacy.org>.

Re: Torque learning curve WAS: RE: Jakarta Persistence Framework?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@openprivacy.org>.

Re: Torque learning curve WAS: RE: Jakarta Persistence Framework?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 12/31/01 10:06 AM, "Nicholas Lesiecki" <ni...@eblox.com> wrote:

> Amen on the learning curve. Erik Hatcher recommended Torque to me, and I
> tried checking it out...I had no idea where to start.

Look at Scarab.

-jon