Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Nuno Lopes <nu...@sapo.pt> on 2004/08/06 19:36:02 UTC

generating PDFs in non-english

Hello,

I was trying to make some PDFs of the PHP manual when I got some problems.
The manual is written in docbook and then I have a XSL sheet. I can generate
the manual in english, portuguese, french,... but not in russian.

When I open the file I only get #####. What am I doing wrong?
I've tried using FOP directly with XML, and with a FOP file generated by
xsltproc, but noone works.

Can anybody help me, please?

Thanks,
Nuno

Re: generating PDFs in non-english

Posted by Nuno Lopes <nu...@sapo.pt>.
> > When I open the file I only get #####. What am I doing wrong?
> > I've tried using FOP directly with XML, and with a FOP file generated by
> > xsltproc, but noone works.
>
> This means that the font-family you are using does not have any glyphs for
the
> russian code points. It is a FAQ, with more details on the web site:
>
> http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#pdf-characters
>
> Chris

I've checked the FO file and all it has as font-family is: sans-serif,
serif, monospace.
Opening the PDF file, acrobat reader says that the used fonts are:
Helvetica, Times-Roman and Courier (with italics and bolds).

I thought these fonts would support russian chars... Which fonts should I
use as font-family then?

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Nuno Lopes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was trying to make some PDFs of the PHP manual when I got some problems.
> The manual is written in docbook and then I have a XSL sheet. I can generate
> the manual in english, portuguese, french,... but not in russian.

Firstly, please post user related questions to the user list. The Development
list is for code related issues. The developers are all subscribed to the user
list anyway.

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Aug 6, 2004, at 10:36 AM, Nuno Lopes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to make some PDFs of the PHP manual when I got some
> problems.
> The manual is written in docbook and then I have a XSL sheet. I can
> generate
> the manual in english, portuguese, french,... but not in russian.
>
> When I open the file I only get #####. What am I doing wrong?
> I've tried using FOP directly with XML, and with a FOP file generated
> by
> xsltproc, but noone works.
>
> Can anybody help me, please?
>
> Thanks,
> Nuno

This thread should take place on the fop-user mailing list instead of
fop-dev. Most (all?) fop-dev list readers read both, so it's sure to be
seen. fop-dev is for FOP *development* issues. Since I'm moving this
thread to fop-user I've Cc'd you on this reply to ensure you received
this message.

I suspect you are having a problem with fonts an glyphs. Did you take a
moment to read the FAQ? There's a question involving "#" characters
here[1].

If you have any other questions or this doesn't help you resolve the
issue, please post follow-up questions to this thread on fop-user.

Good luck!

Web Maestro Clay

[1]
http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#pdf-characters