Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM> on 2005/11/08 19:01:59 UTC

Re: [roller-1.3] Themes lost on upgrade

upgrading from 0.9.9 directly to 1.3 is not supported, at least as far
as I am concerned.  we just didn't have a clean enough upgrade path in
place before roller 1.2 to make that possible.

i am guessing that if you look in your logs you'll see a line that says
"New installation found, setting db version to 130".  That's because
Roller 1.3 couldn't accurately determine the proper db version, so it
has to assume it's a new install.

i don't know who is still running on pre 1.2 Roller, but i think we
should make it very clear in the upgrade guides that users cannot just
deploy the latest version and expect everything to be okay.  users need
to follow each individual upgrade path until they get to Roller 1.2,
this means running db scripts and actually deploying each version of the
app and starting it up.  After that i think we've got it sorted out so
that you can upgrade multiple versions at a time as long as the db
scripts are run.

-- Allen

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 11/8/05, Allen Gilliland <Al...@sun.com> wrote:
> upgrading from 0.9.9 directly to 1.3 is not supported, at least as far
> as I am concerned.  we just didn't have a clean enough upgrade path in
> place before roller 1.2 to make that possible.
>
> i am guessing that if you look in your logs you'll see a line that says
> "New installation found, setting db version to 130".  That's because
> Roller 1.3 couldn't accurately determine the proper db version, so it
> has to assume it's a new install.
>
> i don't know who is still running on pre 1.2 Roller, but i think we

Probably just me :) Baby born, time vanished etc etc.

> should make it very clear in the upgrade guides that users cannot just
> deploy the latest version and expect everything to be okay.  users need
> to follow each individual upgrade path until they get to Roller 1.2,
> this means running db scripts and actually deploying each version of the
> app and starting it up.  After that i think we've got it sorted out so
> that you can upgrade multiple versions at a time as long as the db
> scripts are run.

Ouch. It seems to be doing remarkably well for all that, but I'll make
an attempt of the multi-step update.

Thanks,

Hen