Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> on 2013/09/19 19:38:43 UTC

Change plugin IDs from "org.cordova.core.FOO" -> "org.cordova.FOO"

Anis and I discussed a bit on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-4493

So I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-4874

Wanted to see if anyone could think of what adverse effects this might have
before going through with it.

Only thing I can think of is that I'd need to update the <dependency> tags
of all plugins (mobile spec and our own). The result of not updating them
isn't horrible since the dependencies still install via URL.

On a related note - we need remove the url= parameter from the <dependency>
so that it looks to the registry.

Once we discuss / take one of these paths, I'd like to do a plugins release
so that we can test this flow with RC1.

RE: Change plugin IDs from "org.cordova.core.FOO" -> "org.cordova.FOO"

Posted by "jbondc@openmv.com" <jb...@openmv.com>.
On Fri Sep 20 10:11 AM, Michal Mocny wrote:
> Yeah, but not sure how best to do so.
>
> Do we have a way to mark plugins as deprecated?  Crazy idea: upload a
> nearly
> empty version under the old plugin name that <depends> on the
> new one, and
> add a <deprecated> type tag to plugin.xml spec?

It sort of brings us back to "required" vs. "non-required" dependency:

I think you'd end up with:
> plugin list
org.cordova.core.FOO
org.cordova.FOO

My pref would be to 'break stuff' then have a placeholder for deprecated plugin ids.

All we really want here is way to resolve "org.cordova.core.FOO" --> "org.cordova.FOO" for backwards compatibility.

Harmony proposal calls this step resolve(),lots of similarity :
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:module_loaders

Having a way to register aliases or alternative ids/names could be useful in some sort of 'resolve' step.

Re: Change plugin IDs from "org.cordova.core.FOO" -> "org.cordova.FOO"

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org> wrote:

> When updating platforms, I think we re-install already-installed-plugins,
> right?  Should make sure that that doesn't lead to annoying warning chain
> and/or broken workspace.

Braden just added the "platform update" command two days ago, and all it
does is call the platform's "update" script. It doesn't touch your plugins.
Probably we should do some checks to ensure your plugins are compatible,
and maybe suggest updating plugins, but we don't have any of that right now.

> Also, solution seems hacky.  What don't you like my crazy idea to change
> old plugin to <depend> on new version? ;)

Might be a bit confusing to "plugin ls" and see two copies of each plugin,
where one of them you can't uninstall because it's depended on.

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.