Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/01/26 23:43:02 UTC

[logging] 1.0.5 release plan

the consensus seems to be that a 1.0.5 release is a good thing and that
people are happy with me acting as release manager. the release plan
can be found here:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Logging/1_2e0_2e5ReleasePlan

it's good to see that people have already started work (thanks denis :)
please feel free to dive in!

comments are especially useful for the bugs parade. it'd probably be
best for folks to attached their comments in a sub-list below each one.
i'll prepare an proposal containing the analysis for the list a little
later.

i propose to start work on this release pretty much as soon as the
repository has been converted to subversion. i'll add replies to this
thread to keep people up to date...

- robert

Re: [logging] 1.0.5 release plan

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 31 Jan 2005, at 07:57, Brian Stansberry wrote:

<snip>

> Attached is a patch that fixes this.

it's best to attach patches to a bugzilla report since (i think) this
list strips (most) attachments.

- robert

Re: [logging] 1.0.5 release plan

Posted by Brian Stansberry <be...@yahoo.com>.
> > I'll have some time on Sunday and would be happy
> > help out with documentation if you'd like.

Sorry, didn't get as much free time as I thought
today; will get you some stuff tomorrow evening.

I was building JCL with ant and couldn't get a
commons-logging-optional.jar to build when executing
the build.xml in the root directory.  Instead the
optional classes would get included in
commons-logging.jar.

Looked into this and saw that the when the main
build.xml called the build in the optional folder, it
was passing along all its properties, thus overriding
the optional version.  Attached is a patch that fixes
this.

> >  I was also thinking a note in the user
> > guide similar to the class javadoc in
> WeakHashtable
> > might be useful.  Or anything else you think
> > appropriate.
>
> something for the user guide similar to the class
> javadocs together
> with some notes about the distribution (dropping the
> optional jar into
> the classpath) would be great :)

Will do :)

Brian

http://my.yahoo.com

Re: [logging] 1.0.5 release plan

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 29 Jan 2005, at 07:53, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Sorry to drop off the face of the earth -- my wife and
> I had a baby last month :) so .....

congratulations :)

> I'll have some time on Sunday and would be happy to
> help out with documentation if you'd like.

that'd be great.

my main development machine (G4 cube) blew at least a fan on Thursday
and I've spent most of the weekend setting stuff up on a secondary
machine and disassembling my cube. with the move to subversion coming
as well, it may take me a while to catch up...

>  Assuming
> you plan to format the Release Notes similarly to the
> 1.0.4 release, I can draft a couple paragraphs re: the
> change to LogFactory and the addition of
> WeakHashtable.

if can update the user documentation, then it's probably easier for me
to pull it out for the release notes.

Re: [logging] 1.0.5 release plan

Posted by Brian Stansberry <be...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Robert,

Sorry to drop off the face of the earth -- my wife and
I had a baby last month :) so .....

I'll have some time on Sunday and would be happy to
help out with documentation if you'd like.  Assuming
you plan to format the Release Notes similarly to the
1.0.4 release, I can draft a couple paragraphs re: the
change to LogFactory and the addition of
WeakHashtable.  I was also thinking a note in the user
guide similar to the class javadoc in WeakHashtable
might be useful.  Or anything else you think
appropriate.

Best,
Brian

--- robert burrell donkin