Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by satish jupalli <ju...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/24 10:20:34 UTC

Tomcat upgrades/security patching best practises

Hi,

What are the best practices for upgrading the tomcat given the fact that
they are no direct security patches available.

Specially with the environments where there are large instances of Tomcat
servers running it is challenging to upgrade these servers manually in all
the systems.

Are there any best practices defined for doing this given the frequency of
security patches being applied on Tomcat (Leave alone JDK patches)

Regards
Satish J

Re: Tomcat upgrades/security patching best practises

Posted by satish jupalli <ju...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mark. That helped a lot.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 25/02/2014 12:58, Paul Beckett wrote:
>> I can't tell how much easier it is to manage Tomcat installations
>> (even small ones) with these two separated: Tomcat base install goes
>> one place, your configuration and everything you need goes another.
>> Upgrades are as simply as changing the CATALINA_HOME path, and
>> downgrades (if necessary) are just as simple.
>
> I've been running my tomcat 7 servers with CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE separated. However, I've noticed that the majority of dot releases in the 7 series have changes to files in the conf directory. I have therefore always been merging in these changes into my conf directory. Can these conf changes be safely ignored?

It depends on the change. You'd need to look at it on a case by case basis.

Mark

Re: Tomcat upgrades/security patching best practises

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@gopivotal.com>.
On Feb 25, 2014, at 7:58 AM, Paul Beckett <pa...@outlook.com> wrote:

>> I can't tell how much easier it is to manage Tomcat installations
>> (even small ones) with these two separated: Tomcat base install goes
>> one place, your configuration and everything you need goes another.
>> Upgrades are as simply as changing the CATALINA_HOME path, and
>> downgrades (if necessary) are just as simple.
>
> I've been running my tomcat 7 servers with CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE separated. However, I've noticed that the majority of dot releases in the 7 series have changes to files in the conf directory. I have therefore always been merging in these changes into my conf directory.

Sounds like you’re on the right track here.

> Can these conf changes be safely ignored?

In general, I would say no, just to lean on the side of caution.  However I suppose it depends on what has been changed.  If you’re curious, you could look up the config option that was changed / added / removed, see what it does (in the docs) and perhaps why it was changed (changelog, bugzilla or svn).  That could give you enough context to make your own decision about it.

Dan

Posted by Paul Beckett <pa...@outlook.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat upgrades/security patching best practises

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.