Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Fabian Reinartz <fa...@googlemail.com> on 2014/05/02 16:28:31 UTC

MapReduce with HCatalog hangs

I implemented a MapReduce job with HCatalog as input and output. It's
pretty much the same as the example on the website.

If I start my job with `hadoop jar` an initial MapReduce is performed
(which, I guess is the query for the HCatalog data as the setup method in
my mapper is not executed). After that MapReduce no further output happens
(for hours, so pretty sure it hangs).

The output of that initial MapReduce contains:

        Map-Reduce Framework
                Map input records=23700
                Map output records=0

So apparently all records of my data are read (but not passed on after
that?).
Any ideas what the problem could be?

The input schema for the job is correct, the records are initially read but
my mapper is never executed.

I'm using Hadoop 2.4 and Hive 0.13.

Re: MapReduce with HCatalog hangs

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
HcatInputFormat does not run any initial mapreduce jobs. It seems to
me that the MapReduce job actually ran.
You might want to do a jstack on your java program client side, to see
what it is waiting on.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE