Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Raymond Wilson <ra...@trimble.com> on 2017/02/02 21:43:04 UTC

Usign Apache for non-SQL related grid computing

Hi,

I have a potential use case where I have a collection of blocks of binary
data that I would like to perform parameterised compute operations across.
The data is not stored in an RDBMS, but more in a flat file oriented
fashion.

The blocks of data are spatial in origin (in that they are located within
the world, but are essentially just labelled in a special way) so are good
candidates for a grid-computing type approach.

I have compute logic that understands the information in the blocks of data
and can operate on it to produce results. However, the data is too large
for the entirety of it to exist in the cache at the same time, which means
I can’t do a one-time pre-population of memory then start asking it
questions. In reality this is fine as the working set of data is typically
much smaller than the overall data set.

To achieve my aim in Ignite I think I need to do three things:

1.       Apply arbitrary parameterised compute logic (written in C#)
against data held in the Ignite cache on each node in the cluster using
simple spatial data node-affinity logic and request Ignite perform
cluster-wide execution of that logic.

2.       Have that compute logic be able to detect if a block of data it is
required to operate on is not in the cache and load it at the time the
compute operation is proceeding.

3.       Protect data in the cache from eviction for the period the compute
logic is operating on it.

The examples I have been seeing tend to lean towards an SQL style of
interacting with the data in Ignite. Are there examples that fall into the
uses case I have outlined above

Thanks,

Raymond.

Re: Usign Apache for non-SQL related grid computing

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Please refer to TaskExample.cs and the documentation:
https://apacheignite-net.readme.io/docs/compute-grid

-Val