Posted to users@flex.apache.org by chrismatheson <ch...@matheson.it> on 2014/08/13 00:08:36 UTC

Functional / E2E testing Flex applications

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could point me to some up to date resources
that explain Functional/Acceptence testing of a flex application.

Ideally i would like to use WebDriver so that this can be done via SauceLabs
but the information provided on SauceLabs site was sparse at best.

Some sort of steer on the common approach to this problem would be great

cheers

Chris

AW: AW: Functional / E2E testing Flex applications

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Chris,

Selenium can't directly talk to flex, you need some sort of bridge to bring the two together. As far as I know flexmonkium is what's doing that for Selenium Webdriver. Without this, Selenium will only detect a big black box where your flex application is running.

Well there are other alternatives however, but these are almost all commercial solutions.
The tool I liked best in this area was definitely Silk4J (http://www.borland.com/products/silktest/read/), but the price-tag is surely a lot higher than the open source solutions.

A few years ago I did an evaluation on different tools, but I think that's quite outdated now, but perhaps it gives you an Idea about other alternatives. Deffiniteley there are new players on the field, the old ones will have different products. Perhaps a lot of things work differently, but perhaps you'll still get some usefull information from it: https://dev.c-ware.de/confluence/display/PUBLIC/Functional+Testing+Tools

Chris

Posted by Scott Matheson <sm...@intralinks.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Chris

Unfortunately good documentation on this topic has always been thin :-(

You have to know and keep in mind one thing: Flex already comes with features to explicitly allow automation. But you have to add that support to your application. You can do this in two ways: 1. You compile in the automation libs (You have to make sure all classes are included to your application ... so a normal dependency will not work) then the application created is a little bigger, but it comes with all it needs to be automated. 2. You load your application with a loader application that contains the automation classes (I prefer option 1 as its a lot easier to setup an automated CI build for this).

These automation adapters don't allow you to automate your application. It makes you able to do so, but you need something that uses these automation adapters to actually do something.

I would recommend in to take over this part, you should have a look at selenium web driver (http://docs.seleniumhq.org/projects/webdriver/) (Not the older non-web-driver version) and FlexMonkium (http://flexautomation.blogspot.de/)

With this you should be albe to write record-replay tests as well as (an this is the option I would prefer) to write JUnit/TestNG/whateverjavatestingframeworkyouareusing tests that integrate in your CI build.

Chris