Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Travis Crawford <tr...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/02 19:03:15 UTC

submitting patches that span projects, post repo merge

Hey hadoop gurus -

With the merged repo, is the process for submitting patches that span
repos still one patch per repo? Is submitting a single patch with
changes to common, hdfs, and mapreduce acceptable post-merge?

If so, I can update the "Changes that span projects" section of
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute.

DETAILS

I finished a change for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7359, developed in a
branch on my github fork. Generating a diff between my branch and
trunk is straightforward, however, generating patches per-project
would require reworking the patch into 3 branches. Also, since the
patch changes something in common that's used in both HDFS & MR
submitting as separate patches will certainly break trunk for a brief
period.

With the merged repo, submitting patches that span projects via a
single diff is possible and potentially preferred. If
one-patch-per-project is still preferred I'll certainly do that, but
submitting a single patch is both easier from a development
perspective, won't cause temporary build breakage, and provides a
cleaner revision history.

Thoughts?

--travis

Re: submitting patches that span projects, post repo merge

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
The QA-bot unfortunately can still only deal with single-project patches. I
think there's an open JIRA to allow it to do cross-project tests.

I think for this patch, let's stick with the old way. We can do a single
commit when it's committed, but review-wise and QA-bot wise, separate JIRAs
is probably the way to go until we figure out a proper way to do these.

-Todd

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Travis Crawford

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera