Posted to solr-commits@lucene.apache.org by gs...@apache.org on 2008/11/14 20:48:48 UTC

svn commit: r714115 - /lucene/solr/trunk/example/solr/lib/

Author: gsingers
Date: Fri Nov 14 11:48:47 2008
New Revision: 714115

Log:
put in the lib dir, as we're going to have some libs to put in there for SOLR-282

Added:
    lucene/solr/trunk/example/solr/lib/

Re: svn commit: r714115 - /lucene/solr/trunk/example/solr/lib/

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Nov 14, 2008, at 11:11 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2008, at 5:37 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

>>> will SOLR-282 be a 'contrib' package?
>>>
>>> In general we should figure out what we want the 'example'
>>> directory to be.  Currently each contrib has a full copy of it --
>>> i don't think that is ideal.
>>
>> Not following.  You mean the conf directory?  For SOLR-282, I
>> hooked in a contrib-example target, similar to dist-contrib, that
>> calls each contrib and asks it to do what it wants for the
>> example.  In my case, I copy in some jars to the main example.
>>

> ya -- datainporthandler and velocity each have a duplicate 'conf'
> secion:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk/contrib/velocity/src/main/solr/
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk/contrib/dataimporthandler/src/test/resources/solr/

Yeah, but those are for testing, not for examples.  I think it's
reasonable to do, since they each need their own resources and you
don't want to cross them.  SOLR-282 has it's own too...

Re: svn commit: r714115 - /lucene/solr/trunk/example/solr/lib/

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 14, 2008, at 5:37 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2008, at 5:11 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:
>

>> On Nov 14, 2008, at 2:48 PM, gsingers@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>> Author: gsingers
>>> Date: Fri Nov 14 11:48:47 2008
>>> New Revision: 714115

>>> Log:
>>> put in the lib dir, as we're going to have some libs to put in
>>> there for SOLR-282
>>>

>> will SOLR-282 be a 'contrib' package?
>>
>> In general we should figure out what we want the 'example'
>> directory to be.  Currently each contrib has a full copy of it -- i
>> don't think that is ideal.
>
> Not following.  You mean the conf directory?  For SOLR-282, I hooked
> in a contrib-example target, similar to dist-contrib, that calls
> each contrib and asks it to do what it wants for the example.  In my
> case, I copy in some jars to the main example.

ya -- datainporthandler and velocity each have a duplicate 'conf'
secion:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk/contrib/velocity/src/main/solr/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk/contrib/dataimporthandler/src/test/resources/solr/

short of having solrconfig #include, I'm not sure what the best way
might be to have the contribs only specify the part relevant to their
function.   I'm afraid we will have to punt until spring is involved...

ryan

Re: svn commit: r714115 - /lucene/solr/trunk/example/solr/lib/

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Nov 14, 2008, at 5:11 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2008, at 2:48 PM, gsingers@apache.org wrote:
>
>> Author: gsingers
>> Date: Fri Nov 14 11:48:47 2008
>> New Revision: 714115

>> Log:
>> put in the lib dir, as we're going to have some libs to put in
>> there for SOLR-282
>>

> will SOLR-282 be a 'contrib' package?
>
> In general we should figure out what we want the 'example' directory
> to be.  Currently each contrib has a full copy of it -- i don't
> think that is ideal.

Not following.  You mean the conf directory?  For SOLR-282, I hooked
in a contrib-example target, similar to dist-contrib, that calls each
contrib and asks it to do what it wants for the example.  In my case,
I copy in some jars to the main example.

> Perhaps we have a 'minimum' example, and then a kitchen sink
> example...

I've been thinking lately that we should look to simplify the mess
that is the example directory...

FWIW, I rolled back the addition of the dir.  Came across some docs
that said to go create it, so I assumed someone explicitly didn't
create it for a reason.  Presumably to make sure no one accidentally
checks in some jars, but I don't know for sure.

-Grant

Re: svn commit: r714115 - /lucene/solr/trunk/example/solr/lib/

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.