Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> on 2018/04/02 19:48:57 UTC

Automatic website publishing

Hi all,

We now have a jenkins task that updates the website whenever master is
changed (then the asf-site is automagically uploaded to the webserver).
All this currently takes a few minutes.

I'm not sure I like the final setup (the script is hosted at jenkins,
not in our repos), so I won't close NETBEANS-522 [1] as of yet. Maybe we
want ot modify the script ([2]) and include it inside the asf-site
branch itself.

Please modify the web pages as you see fit to make sure everything works
correctly.

Thanks,
Antonio

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/NETBEANS/issues/NETBEANS-522

[2]
https://builds.apache.org/view/Incubator
Projects/job/incubator-netbeans-website

Re: Automatic website publishing

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
That makes sense, thanks.

I'll delete the branches that I inadvertently created and from this point
only work from my own fork.

Gj

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
I tried it yesterday and works as expected.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 2:06 PM, Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:
> ...I think we should document that somewhere (in the website? ;-)) ...

For me the natural place to look for website publishing instructions
is the README at
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans-website

-Bertrand

Re: Automatic website publishing

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
And I did that without checking out the website sources, i.e., edited live
on GitHub. Fantastic.

Gj

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 12:35 PM, Geertjan Wielenga <

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 at 11:58 Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> Mmm... the jenkins job fired twice: once for the push (build ok: website
> updated) and another for the merge (build failed because there was
> nothing to commit).

Maybe check GitHub squash and merge for the PR?

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: Automatic website publishing

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi,

Mmm... the jenkins job fired twice: once for the push (build ok: website
updated) and another for the merge (build failed because there was
nothing to commit).

I'll ask my robot to fine tune that.

Cheers,
Antonio

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Wow, amazing, it works.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 at 12:32 Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> I think PRs are also great, but we should start thinking of removing
> those branches once the PR is merged. Otherwise we'll end up with tons
> of branches.

Agreed!  In fact, I hadn't realised this was polluting the main repo as
opposed to Geertjan's repo with branches.  If we protect the master branch
I wonder if that would enforce editing in the user's fork?

IIRC there's an option to delete the branch when you merge the PR in
GitHub, as well as in the branch list.

Best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: Automatic website publishing

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

On 03/04/18 12:58, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 at 11:15 Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:
> [...]
>> AFAIK hooks are not cloned, so maybe the gitbox repo doesn't have this
>> webhook in github, also the jenkins plugin we're using is specific to
>> github, so it may fail if the request is coming from gitbox or elsewhere.
>>

> No, but I would have expected a GitHub webhook to fire when GitBox syncs.
> Unless the webhook we're talking about is actually part of GitBox's syncing
> process.  Anyway, it's working - let's not question the magic.

I talked to infra early in the morning and they didn't know why the
webhook didn't fire from gitbox yesterday for Geertjan's merge. They
looked at it but found nothing. Agreed: it's working so let it be.

> Regarding the PR: these are not strictly required: ...
>

>> So I assume changing files directly to master (without a PR) will also
>> trigger the build.
>>

> No, it's not, unless we switch off direct commits to master (which I'm
> personally in favour of for all our repos, but no-one else seems to be!)
> However, I meant more documenting it as the process to be followed - as
> Geertjan also said, it's safer, and also means we get email notifications.

I think PRs are also great, but we should start thinking of removing
those branches once the PR is merged. Otherwise we'll end up with tons
of branches.

Jenkins can also send an additional email if required.

> Time to edit the process I wrote up on the wiki for doing this manually
> then?!  Still be tempted to keep in something about checking the asf-site
> commit for expected changes though, at least for now.

Maybe we want to keep it for a while, until we bullet proof this. After
that we may want to keep it around as a workaround in case jenkins fails
or a manual intervention is required. Also I think I should document the
(very simple) jenkins job, explaining those little tricks and that a
(infra approved) webhook in github is in place.

Kind regards,
Antonio

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 at 11:15 Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> On 03/04/18 11:50, Neil C Smith wrote:
> > You mean I've finally got to that time where my job has been superseded
> by
> > a robot?! ;-)
> >

> Exactly! Lucky you! I still had to fight Jenkins, github & gitbox, I
> need a robot too! :-)

:-)

> Ah, I wasn't aware of those expectations. The issue was that infra did
> set up a webhook at github, but we couldn't push to github,

This was mentioned in the ticket or an email somewhere - as it's somewhat
of a backdoor for Jenkins to talk to GitBox, makes sense it has to be
within ASF infrastructure?

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 at 20:49 Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> We now have a jenkins task that updates the website whenever master is
> changed (then the asf-site is automagically uploaded to the webserver).

You mean I've finally got to that time where my job has been superseded by
a robot?! ;-)

Great news!

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi again,

So we finally had to use two different repos: 1. github (master branch)
for firing the jenkins job through an infra webhook and gitbox (asf-site
branch) for pushing.

So again please feel free to submit PRs as appropriate. Let me know if
anything does not work as expected.

Kind regards,
Antonio

P.S.: I added some links to the Apache NetBeans Day UK 2018.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi,