Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mark E. Palandri" <mp...@lspeed.com> on 2003/03/06 03:12:27 UTC

IIS 5.0 Redirector Strangeness

I am currently developing a WebDAV server for our repository and it seems to
work fine when accessed through Tomcat 4.0.4 directly (i.e. using port
8080). I've got the servlet mapped to a sub-directory of the root (like the
/examples example), and all the HTTP request methods sent to a URI rooted at
that sub-directory get through to my servlet just fine.

I then tried setting things up to that I could access the servlet through
IIS 5.0. I followed the instructions in the IIS How To and managed to get
things limping along. Using a generic WebDAV client (say the one that comes
with Slide), all requests got through to my servlet. But, when accessed as a
Web Folder in the Windows explorer, I could see that the OPTIONS method was
making it to my servlet, but for some reason the subsequent PROPFIND to the
very same URI was failing with a 403 (Forbidden).

I did some digging around and it turned out that the problem was that the
Web Folder client was including a "Translate: f" header, which apparently
blocked the request at the isapi_redirector.dll. I searched some more and
saw something about this being a bug in IIS 5.0 and that a fix had been made
to the isapi_redirector.dll to work-around the problem. The
isapi_redirector.dll I was using was apparently the one from several years
ago that was distributed with Tomcat 3, and it didn't have the fix.

I then went out to the latest jakarta-tomcat-connectors build of jk (v1.2.2)
and picked up the new version of isapi_redirector.dll. I replaced the old
one with the new one and without modifying anything else, restarted IIS and
Tomcat.

The results were odd. Now, the OPTIONS request gets blocked with a 500
(Internal Server Error), but the PROPFIND gets through to my servlet just
fine. I then checked some of the other methods and saw the following
pattern:

failed: OPTIONS, PUT, DELETE
succeeded: PROPFIND, LOCK, UNLOCK, GET, MKCOL

I can understand why PUT and DELETE might be blocked by some sort of
write-constraint, but why is OPTIONS failing? If anyone can cast any light
on how I can get the new redirector to send *ALL* requests through to my
servlet, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

RE: IIS 5.0 Redirector Strangeness

Posted by Rick Bullotta <ri...@lighthammer.com>.
Mark, we could never get that combo working (IIS 5.X, Tomcat 4.X, JK
connector, HTTP POST).  We ended up going to JK2 and all was resolved.
Shocking that it didn't work in the first place, but nevertheless, there
is a solution...

Rick Bullotta
CTO
Lighthammer Software (http://www.lighthammer.com)