Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mrinmoy Pal <pm...@sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com> on 2007/10/29 23:29:01 UTC

RE: IMP - Requests not reaching Tomcat Server

Hello Chris,

Siebel Team made some changes on their side, and we are able to see the "timed out error" on Siebel logs when Siebel is posting data to Tomcat.

The flow is: Siebel post data to Servlet --> Servlet processes the data..
We observe that Siebel application waits for 2 minutes and then gets a timeout while posting data to Tomcat. The request never reaches Tomcat (as seen from the localhost log files). If Siebel sends 50 transactions, then only 30-40 reaches Tomcat Servlet.
At a later point of time, if the Siebel is trying again, then the data is getting posted successfully.

               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"/>

	Timeout at Servlet level is defined as
		int requestTimeout = 180000;

We are trying to figure out whether the problem is at Tomcat side or Siebel side or in between. The ping from Siebel to Tomcat server is fine, so we think that network is fine. Also the network team informed that the packets are not getting lost.

There are more than 20 servlets deployed in the tomcat and there are around 10-12 requests (for all the servlets) coming to Tomcat in a minute.
I even increased the maxProcessors from 75 to 150 and acceptCount from 10 to 20, but the behavior doesn't change.
The architecture of Siebel is that it posts all the request at one point of time - ie at one instance.

Please do inform if anybody has seen such behavior and how they resolved the problem. How do I find out that this is not a Tomcat issue.

Thanks
Mrinmoy