Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Luis Ferro <lf...@teladigital.pt> on 2007/02/02 19:07:07 UTC

display-align="justify"

When doing the pagination of a large block of text, with columns, the text is
if the keepers/orfan/widows are defined acordingly, passed to the next
column leaving some space behind in the previous page.

The visual effect of the full pages isn't great, specially if you have for
instance 3 columns per page. What happens is that the text seams to ondulate
in the bottom (diferent kinds of white space in the 6 columns that will be
in side by side).

To solve this, the only thing that i see that is "fast" and "easy" would be
to exist a "justify" property value for the display-align. But unfortunatly
i dind't found it.

The hard way would be to setup a container with diferent "orientation" (if
that is possible) so that a simple text-align="justify" would just justify
other blocks vertically, will they contain text in other "orientation" (i'm
not sure if i'm clear here).

Any sugestions on how to archieve "vertical" justification of columns?

Thanx in advance,
Luis Ferro
Teladigital.pt

Re: display-align="justify"

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Hi Luis,

Luis Ferro a écrit :
> When doing the pagination of a large block of text, with columns, the text is
> if the keepers/orfan/widows are defined acordingly, passed to the next
> column leaving some space behind in the previous page.
>
> The visual effect of the full pages isn't great, specially if you have for
> instance 3 columns per page. What happens is that the text seams to ondulate
> in the bottom (diferent kinds of white space in the 6 columns that will be
> in side by side).

Hehe, you won't find many layout programs which handle that! Fortunately
you found FOP.

> To solve this, the only thing that i see that is "fast" and "easy" would be
> to exist a "justify" property value for the display-align. But unfortunatly
> i dind't found it.

You don't need any special property, actually. Provided there is some
elastic spaces, FOP will justify pages as it does for paragraphs.
It's easy to add elastic spaces if your text contains section,
sub-sections, etc. with titles, or if your layout design requires spaces
between paragraphs. You just have to specify the space-before and
space-after properties the right way, e.g.:
<fo:block space-before.minimum="6pt" space-before.optimum="10pt"
space-before.maximum="14pt">
A paragraph...
</fo:block>

The more you specify spaces between blocks of text, the easier it will
be to justify pages.

HTH,
Vincent

Re: display-align="justify"

Posted by Luis Ferro <lf...@teladigital.pt>.
I will try both solutions...

I've to give you all Hats off... you devs are the best i've seen everywhere
;)

And indeed... i was fortunate to have found FOP... it's a charm to work with
it, specially because it's user base and dev base are extremelly helpfull as
i've seen in the past and i see everyday with other problems.

Keep the good work,
LF

Re: display-align="justify"

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Feb 2, 2007, at 19:07, Luis Ferro wrote:

> When doing the pagination of a large block of text, with columns,
> the text is
> if the keepers/orfan/widows are defined acordingly, passed to the next
> column leaving some space behind in the previous page.
>
> The visual effect of the full pages isn't great, specially if you
> have for
> instance 3 columns per page. What happens is that the text seams to
> ondulate
> in the bottom (diferent kinds of white space in the 6 columns that
> will be
> in side by side).

IIRC, in the code there are references to a value of "distribute"
being allowed for display-align (as an extension to the XSL Rec.)

I haven't tried whether its implementation is complete, but maybe it
will do the trick here...?

HTH!

Andreas