Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2005/11/29 00:12:12 UTC

[VOTE] New commons proper component - collections-functors

The [collections] component would like to split out a new commons proper
component, [collection-functors]. This component will be created
directly in commons proper, not the sandbox as it contains code
previously released. The primary motivations are to reduce to amount of
code held within [collections] itself (and thus the jar size), to allow
the functor part to grow and to allow independent release cycles.

The new component will use the same package name as at present -
o.a.commons.collections.functors, and will produce a jar with the name
commons-collection-functors.jar. This new component will be at the top
level as far as maven and other tools are concerned.

Please note that this is unrelated to the [functor] component in the
sandbox.

-----------------------
[ ] +1 I support creating [collection-functors]
[ ] +0 It's OK
[ ] +1 If you must
[ ] -1 I don't support this because....
-----------------------

Voting open for 72 hours.

Stephen

Re: [VOTE] New commons proper component - collections-functors

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 11/28/05, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> The [collections] component would like to split out a new commons proper
> component, [collection-functors]. This component will be created
> directly in commons proper, not the sandbox as it contains code
> previously released. The primary motivations are to reduce to amount of
> code held within [collections] itself (and thus the jar size), to allow
> the functor part to grow and to allow independent release cycles.
>
> The new component will use the same package name as at present -
> o.a.commons.collections.functors, and will produce a jar with the name
> commons-collection-functors.jar. This new component will be at the top
> level as far as maven and other tools are concerned.
>
> Please note that this is unrelated to the [functor] component in the
> sandbox.
>
> -----------------------
> [ ] +1 I support creating [collection-functors]
> [ ] +0 It's OK
> [ ] +1 If you must
> [ ] -1 I don't support this because....
> -----------------------
<snip/>

<ballot-query>
Was it your intention to have two +1 options? The second appears to imply -0?
</ballot-query>

-Rahul

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

<snip>

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 16:17 -0500, Michael Heuer wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 15:09 +0000, Tim Roberts wrote:
> > > +1 I support creating a functors library (but not necessarily called
> > > collections-functors).
> > >
> > > Rational:
> > > I think functors are a powerful approach to software design, under
> > > represented (in java) and non-standardised. I would like to see functors
> > > (sandbox) integrated and have a common interface set (and would like to help
> > > with such an undertaking). In addition to reducing the size of collections
> > > developers would, IMO, like to be able to use functors separately from
> > > collections.
> >
> > i'm beginning to suspect that there are number of secret functor users
> > out there...
> >
> > a lack of community prevented the functor component progressing from the
> > sandbox. perhaps times have changed and there may be now enough
> > momentum. would need a committer with enough time as well as enough
> > interested developers...
> >
> > opinions?
>
> I think maybe you stated that backward -- the fact that the functor
> component was in the common sandbox may have prevented [functor] from
> gathering a community.

not backward, just a bit circular :)

> How can a sandbox component gather users without a
> release?

that's why it's traditionally been tough for a component to progress
from the sandbox to proper. one reason for requiring a community is that
the core commons committers only have so many cycles so there's a
resistance to taking on components which may be self-sustaining. another
is that apache is interested in community development.

so, it's really developers (rather than users) that are most important
for sandbox components.

> There is a lot of functor-related activity out there:
>
> Functor Objects (Wiki)
> > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?FunctorObject
>
> Blocks In Java (Wiki)
> > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BlocksInJava
>
> jga - Generic Algorithms for Java
> > http://jga.sourceforge.net
>
> Colt Project
> > http://dsd.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt
>
> More functor interfaces
> > http://www.dishevelled.org/functor

yep :)

the question is whether there's enough enthusiasm out there now to
sustain a commons generic functor component...

- robert

RE: [VOTE] New commons proper component - collections-functors

Posted by Michael Heuer <he...@acm.org>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 15:09 +0000, Tim Roberts wrote:
> > +1 I support creating a functors library (but not necessarily called
> > collections-functors).
> >
> > Rational:
> > I think functors are a powerful approach to software design, under
> > represented (in java) and non-standardised. I would like to see functors
> > (sandbox) integrated and have a common interface set (and would like to help
> > with such an undertaking). In addition to reducing the size of collections
> > developers would, IMO, like to be able to use functors separately from
> > collections.
>
> i'm beginning to suspect that there are number of secret functor users
> out there...
>
> a lack of community prevented the functor component progressing from the
> sandbox. perhaps times have changed and there may be now enough
> momentum. would need a committer with enough time as well as enough
> interested developers...
>
> opinions?

I think maybe you stated that backward -- the fact that the functor
component was in the common sandbox may have prevented [functor] from
gathering a community.  How can a sandbox component gather users without a
release?

There is a lot of functor-related activity out there:

Functor Objects (Wiki)
> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?FunctorObject

Blocks In Java (Wiki)
> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BlocksInJava

jga - Generic Algorithms for Java
> http://jga.sourceforge.net

Colt Project
> http://dsd.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt

More functor interfaces
> http://www.dishevelled.org/functor

   michael

RE: [VOTE] New commons proper component - collections-functors

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 15:09 +0000, Tim Roberts wrote:
> +1 I support creating a functors library (but not necessarily called
> collections-functors).
>
> Rational:
> I think functors are a powerful approach to software design, under
> represented (in java) and non-standardised. I would like to see functors
> (sandbox) integrated and have a common interface set (and would like to help
> with such an undertaking). In addition to reducing the size of collections
> developers would, IMO, like to be able to use functors separately from
> collections.

i'm beginning to suspect that there are number of secret functor users
out there...

a lack of community prevented the functor component progressing from the
sandbox. perhaps times have changed and there may be now enough
momentum. would need a committer with enough time as well as enough
interested developers...

opinions?

> PS I'm new to this open-source community stuff so apologies for any
> mistakes/inappropriate actions (such as voting on this change).

you're very welcome to cast a vote but only some votes are binding.
(binding votes are those that count towards the final tally.) you'll
often see folks express this sometimes as '+1 (non-binding)'. (there's a
wiki page on nettiquette
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/JakartaCommonsEtiquette.)

here at apache, we like to encourage as many people as possible to
contribute to development and an important way of doing that is to
debate decisions. votes are just one part of that process, a way to
focus the debate.

- robert

RE: [VOTE] New commons proper component - collections-functors

Reissued ballot paper as I can't use Ctrl+C...
-----------------------
[ ] +1 I support creating [collection-functors]
[ ] +0 It's OK
[ ] -0 If you must

Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> The [collections] component would like to split out a new commons proper
> component, [collection-functors]. This component will be created
> directly in commons proper, not the sandbox as it contains code
> previously released. The primary motivations are to reduce to amount of
> code held within [collections] itself (and thus the jar size), to allow
> the functor part to grow and to allow independent release cycles.
>
> The new component will use the same package name as at present -
> o.a.commons.collections.functors, and will produce a jar with the name
> commons-collection-functors.jar. This new component will be at the top
> level as far as maven and other tools are concerned.
>
> Please note that this is unrelated to the [functor] component in the
> sandbox.
>
> -----------------------
> [ ] +1 I support creating [collection-functors]
> [ ] +0 It's OK
> [ ] +1 If you must
> [ ] -1 I don't support this because....
> -----------------------
>
> Voting open for 72 hours.
>
> Stephen

believed to be clean.

Re: [VOTE] New commons proper component - collections-functors

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

[RESULT] [VOTE] New commons proper component - collections-functors

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
+1
Stephen Colebourne
Robert Burrel Donkin
James Carmen
Phil Steitz

The vote passed, but not without debate.
I'll take this debate back to [collections], probably after Javapolis.

Stephen

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
James Carman: +1

Did you mean "-0 If you must"?

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
On 11/29/05, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> The new component is [collection-functors], so there
> should be no confusion.

Ok, you're right, that would be clear.

> I do expect different release cycles going forward.
> There is only a small tie between the two bits of code
> (4 interfaces).
>
> What we are arguing is that delivering two jars within
> one project actually *hides* what is really going on,
> which is two separately released codebases. This
> clarifies the end result by making truly independent
> projects.

Ok, but then I agree with Phil: the distinction/overlap/relation
should be made clear IMHO.  I haven't used functor yet, but perhaps
collections-functors makes sense as part of functor ?

Tom

Re: [VOTE] New commons proper component - collections-functors

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
On 11/29/05, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> James Carman wrote:
> > So, TransformerUtils would have to move into the new component, right?
> > Would the Transformer, Closure, and Predicate interfaces stay in the core
> > package or go into the new component?
>
> TransformerUtils -> [collection-functors]
> PredicateUtils -> [collection-functors]
> ClosureUtils -> [collection-functors]
> FactoryUtils -> [collection-functors]
>
> Transformer -> [collections]
> Predicate -> [collections]
> Closure -> [collections]
> Factory -> [collections]

If the functors (and you should choose a new name, its much too close
to commons-functor) are so closely tied to commons-collections, why

Re: [collections] New commons proper component - collections-functors

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
>>>[sandbox-functor] has *nothing* in common with [collection-functor]. Nor
>>>is it going to. The source and approaches are just different.
>

> is see that as a good thing, not bad :)
>
> thinking back, one of the sources of arguments about functors has been
> that the functors in collections are specialist (and not a general
> library) but the functors in the sandbox as generic (and so not so
> convenient when used in the specialist domain of collections). so maybe
> there would be space for both in a common-functor component...

I have to say that I believe that trying to force two disparate
codebases together seems a very bad idea. The commons charter suggests
that there may be two ways to implement the same thing.

BTW, ideally we'd come up with a new name for one of these two that
didn't involve 'functor'.

Stephen

Re: [collections] New commons proper component - collections-functors

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 19:38 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> Thanks, Stephen.  While I still think 1, 5 are problematic, your
>
> Phil
> On 11/29/05, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> > Phil Steitz wrote:
> > > -0 for following reasons:
> > >
> > > 1. I am having a hard time understanding what the value
> > > commons-functor by itself is going to be.  How do we expect it to
> > > "grow" - independently of collections - other than by replicating
> > > functionality in [functor]?
> > Functor in the sandbox may well be a better designed, purer functor
> > library, but it has not seen any activity in a long time.
> >
> > Collections functor package has had a number of proposed patches for new
> > functors which I have had to reject as they bloat the collections jar
> > file. As an independent jar file, only taken by those who want the
> > collections functors, these new functors could be happily accepted.

it also turns out that james carman and i both use functors extensively
for swing GUIs. (i thought i was the only one with that particular
madness ;) so, there's probably a sufficient micro-community for
functor.

the sandbox functor component is good but independent and incompatible
design. creating common-functor based on the collections code would not
exclude the possible of including the sandbox code as part of
commons-functor as a generic implementation rather than the specialist
code from collections.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 23:31 -0500, Henri Yandell wrote:
> +1 to the new library.
>
> I'm wondering if we reach a point where Collections wants Primitives
> and Collections-Functor as subcomponents. Tricky to handle with our
> current setup, but maybe an idea for the future.

i once thought that subcomponents were a reasonable idea. (logging
(unreleased) and beanutils have subcomponents.) experience has taught me
that really the separate component approach (used by primitives) is
better in the long run: sub-components tend to get hidden and increase
the complexity of the build and confused users. i really think that the
original vision: lots of small equal bricks has stood the test of time.

- robert

Re: [collections] New commons proper component - collections-functors

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
+1 to the new library.

I'm wondering if we reach a point where Collections wants Primitives
and Collections-Functor as subcomponents. Tricky to handle with our
current setup, but maybe an idea for the future.

Hen

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.