Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de> on 2005/05/30 09:32:33 UTC

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Good news: we can have a room at the FHT for the
evenings, thanks to Prof. Hauber. The faculty is
close by the conference center, see
http://www.hft-stuttgart.de/Hochschule/wirueberuns/Lageplan/
It's right below the "ApacheCon" sign in the map
http://apachecon.com/2005/EU/images/Stuttgart-Plan_gross.gif

We'll need to decide when we'll meet.

Prof. Hauber works in the area oif Internet Technologies,
Web Programming, Web Content Management Systems, and
Open Source Software. One special interest is in Apache
(he'll try to join the conference).

Looking forward to see you all there!
Johannes

Ross Gardler schrieb:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>> And me, yes all the way from the antipodes
>>> just to meet up with you people.
>>>
>>> I haven't decided how long yet, but certainly
>>> some extra days.
>>

>> WOW!
>>
>> That is awesome.
>> Nearly all Forrest PMC will be there.
>>
>> That is just great.
>>
>> Thanks David for coming from downunder. :)
>

> I can see I will have to extend my stay. I was planning on just a couple
> of nights since my wife and child will be visiting friends elsewhere in
> Germany. However, if we are all to be there...
>
> Ross

Ludwigsburg
Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

Burmester
www.user-interface-tuning.de

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Schedule

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.

David Crossley wrote:

>> Pls note: There were no objections. So the views-workshop is moved to
>> Monday night. I'll try and write the announcement tomorrow.

> I have our new "Events" web page almost finished. I will get that
> published too.

If you have already finished the events page, then I won't bother, ok?

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Schedule

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Pls note: There were no objections. So the views-workshop is moved to
> Monday night. I'll try and write the announcement tomorrow.

I have our new "Events" web page almost finished. I will get that
published too.

--David

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Schedule

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.
for tue i already sent a link
for mon and wed we can decide shorthand
Peter said.
js

(leaving office NOW)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.

Johannes Schaefer schrieb:
> I tried to check back with Peter if Monday is
> OK, too. Give me time until tomorrow 12:00 MEST
> to get through to him. Thanks!
> Johannes
>

> Ferdinand Soethe schrieb:
>
>> Pls note: There were no objections. So the views-workshop is moved to
>> Monday night. I'll try and write the announcement tomorrow.
>>
>> Ferdinand
>>

>> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>>

>>> OK, this all being explained, I now propose to move the views workshop
>>> to Monday night for four reasons:
>>

>>> 1. Nicola Ken will be able to attend
>>> 2. Nobody else came forward that would not be able to attend

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> AFAIK the only one who did was Ross saying that he didn't like the
> idea for personal reasons but would be there if there is a majority
> for it.

Like I said I am -0 on changing the date. However, I agree that there
appears to be no alternative (other than not being able to meet Nicola
Ken, which is no alternative).

This way I get to go to the Cocoon Hackathon anyway.

By the way, thanks for coordinating this Ferdinand, I'm rubbish at doing
this kind of organisation stuff, I prefer to just say here's my
preference do what you have to do. You will find I never complain about
the results though :-) (as long as I get a whiskey at some point).

Ross

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Schedule

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.
David Crossley wrote:

>> Have we decided on the schedule, then? (Copy below)
>> Is there a place to reference with the schedule?

> Not yet sorry, I was just about to set up the web page
> late last week. Then people floated the idea about
> changing the schedule again, so i left it. There was
> no more discussion, so i don't know what the status is.

Well, the situation is as follows:

If we stick to the original plan and have the view workshop on
Thursday Nicola Ken won't be able to attend. And even though he was a
bit late in informing us about this, I figured that a lot of people
would like to have him attend that workshop.

The suggested alternative to talk about views 'a bit' at the hackathon
and have the workshop on Thursday did not seem like a good solution to
me because it would split discussions and create a lot of redundancies
if some people attended the Hackathon and others came to the
workshopon Thursday.

So I suggested to move the views workshop forward to Monday night
because there would not competing events and asked people to comment
on their ability to attend and the usefulness of it all.

AFAIK the only one who did was Ross saying that he didn't like the
idea for personal reasons but would be there if there is a majority
for it.

                        ARGHH!

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> If there is no Forrest event on Sunday, we would be more than happy to see
> you at the Blockathon (http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Blockathon) which will
> start on Sunday.

I will attend for some of the time. Probably way over my head.

--David

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.

David Crossley wrote:

> Yes. Will you start the "events" web page? I could knock one up quickly
> if you would rather.

Yes, pls go ahead if you can do it quickly. Id rather get the
documentation issue solved asap.

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> > Probably I will be staying only Monday and Tuesday during the week, as I
> > cannot stay away for more than two days from work. Probably I will come
> > earlier, like Saturday or Sunday, but it depends on who is going to be
> > there on those days.
>
> Does this mean you are not attending the conference (Wed-Fri)?
> Do we need to rethink the scheduled date for our Views-seminar on
> Thursday?

During the Hackathon, probably Tuesday, we should have
a gathering of our committers. We can do some Views
workshop there, then do the main workshop as already
planned.

--David

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Probably I will be staying only Monday and Tuesday during the week, as I
> cannot stay away for more than two days from work. Probably I will come
> earlier, like Saturday or Sunday, but it depends on who is going to be
> there on those days.

I plan to arrive on the Friday and be there all week.

--David

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>

>>If there is no Forrest event on Sunday, we would be more than happy to see you
>>at the Blockathon (http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Blockathon) which will start on
>>Sunday.
>

> What exactly is a blockathon? Under the weblink above I found not much
> further info about content.

thanks for the reminder - it was on my (mental) todo list to add some
information to the wiki page about what we will do at the Blockathon. In short:
we (the Cocoon developers) want to dedicate the upcoming ApacheCon Hackathon to
the devlopment of 'real blocks'.

See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=111659636932761&w=2 and
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Blocks for more detailed information about what
Cocoon blocks are.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 10:55 +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>>>If there is no Forrest event on Sunday, we would be more than happy to
>>>see you at the Blockathon (http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Blockathon)
>>>which will start on Sunday.
>>
>>Ah, ok, will see if I can make it :-)
>>

> I want to go there as well (if possible with you Reinhard).

I have not bought the plane tickets yet, but I think that I will stay a
whole week...

Cheers,
cheche

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 13:48 +0200, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> >> I want to go there as well (if possible with you Reinhard).
> >

> > I gonna write this mail in German - if I'm wrong and you're not a German
> > speaker please let me know!.
> >
> > Hi Thorsten,
> >
> > Meintest du, dass du versuchen wirst, im selben Hotel zu nächtigen, oder
> > reist du über Wien an. Falls du letzteres gemeint hast, lass es mich
> > ASAP wissen, weil ich Anfang nächster Woche den Zug buchen werde.
>
> sorry, I wanted to send this mail directly to Thorsten ;-)

:) Yes I am a native German. ;-)

No I mean whether I can attend the
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Blockathon as well. ;-)

Then I will add myself there.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 10:55 +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>>>If there is no Forrest event on Sunday, we would be more than happy to
>>>see you at the Blockathon (http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Blockathon)
>>>which will start on Sunday.
>>
>>Ah, ok, will see if I can make it :-)
>>

> I want to go there as well (if possible with you Reinhard).

I gonna write this mail in German - if I'm wrong and you're not a German speaker
please let me know!.

Hi Thorsten,

Meintest du, dass du versuchen wirst, im selben Hotel zu nächtigen, oder reist
du über Wien an. Falls du letzteres gemeint hast, lass es mich ASAP wissen, weil
ich Anfang nächster Woche den Zug buchen werde.

Liebe Grüße
Reinhard

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 10:55 +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> > If there is no Forrest event on Sunday, we would be more than happy to
> > see you at the Blockathon (http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Blockathon)
> > which will start on Sunday.
>
> Ah, ok, will see if I can make it :-)

I want to go there as well (if possible with you Reinhard).

> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> .
>  > Does this mean you are not attending the conference (Wed-Fri)?
>
> Nope, I'm using the Apachecon simply as an opportunity of meeting people.

I guess I will do it like Nicola.

>  > Do we need to rethink the scheduled date for our Views-seminar on
>  > Thursday?
>
> It would be nice for me if we could -also?- do something on Monday evening.

Yeah I would like to do something on Monday as well. I thought on monday
there is the ASF hackathon as well, or? When are the 2 days hackathon?

salu2

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>  >> Do we need to rethink the scheduled date for our Views-seminar on
>  >> Thursday?
>

>>It would be nice for me if we could -also?- do something on Monday evening.
>

> Well, Monday evening has never been suggested as far as I remember.
> I'd be happy to move the View-Workshop there if we can find a room and
> there are no crossovers with other events?
>
> Although Ross was planning on coming Tuesday I think (is this fixed?)

No it is not fixed, my wife, son and I will be visiting friends in
Germany for a few days either side of the conference, I will make myself
available whenever others are available. Although, to be honest I was
planning on only being at the conference itself so that I would be with
my family and friends for at least some of the time.

So I'm -0 on moving the date, I will be there if the majority wish to
move the date.

Ross

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

 >> Do we need to rethink the scheduled date for our Views-seminar on
 >> Thursday?

> It would be nice for me if we could -also?- do something on Monday evening.

Well, Monday evening has never been suggested as far as I remember.
I'd be happy to move the View-Workshop there if we can find a room and
there are no crossovers with other events?

Although Ross was planning on coming Tuesday I think (is this fixed?)

Might make more sense than having a little discussion during the
Hackathon and some more on Tuesday.

What do other people think?

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> If there is no Forrest event on Sunday, we would be more than happy to
> see you at the Blockathon (http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Blockathon)
> which will start on Sunday.

Ah, ok, will see if I can make it :-)

Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
.
 > Does this mean you are not attending the conference (Wed-Fri)?

Nope, I'm using the Apachecon simply as an opportunity of meeting people.

 > Do we need to rethink the scheduled date for our Views-seminar on
 > Thursday?

It would be nice for me if we could -also?- do something on Monday evening.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> And since nobody else voiced any objections until now, I guess we can
> call this a final schedule and make it public, can we?

+1

Ross

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.
I'd be happy to stick with this as Tuesday will be the night before
Ross and I have our Forrest presentation and I'd like to have some
time for last minute preparations.

And since nobody else voiced any objections until now, I guess we can
call this a final schedule and make it public, can we?

Regards,
Ferdinand Soethe

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.

David Crossley schrieb:
> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>
>>I will have a presentation about Forrest in German that
>>day (Tue, 19th July), also at the HfT, also starting at
>>19h. Ferdinand wanted to go there, too. This will last
>>for about 1-1.5 hours. I'll check back about the room
>>(I asked for the conference days 20-22, which was OK by
>>Peter).
>

> I am very sorry Johannes, that completely slipped my mind.
>
> Is your event open to other other German-speaking people
> or do you want to limit it to your group? I ask because
> we might create an "Events" page at the Forrest website.

It *is* open. It's just an informal meeting of interested
people. German speakers can find more information here
   http://www.gui-design.de/ak/
although the July meeting isn't there, yet (And I discovered
that it actually starts at 18:30 ;-)

> Does your meeting usually finish and then people leave?

No. Usually we sit together afterwards to have some beer.

> If so, then perhaps our project workshop could start
> after that. Anyway, we don't want to put any pressure
> on you or your meeting. So that option is removed below.
>
> On one hand, it would be better for our project workshop
> to be held earlier in the week, preferably before the
> Get Together, so that we have our story straight regarding
> Views and XHTML2 core. (The committers can do some of that
> at the Hackathon during the day on Tuesday.)
>
> On the other hand, later is better because we can have
> a wider audience and also take into account the use-cases
> expressed at the earlier sessions. Another reason for
> doing it later is that the sessions then progress from
> easier topics to more complex.
>
> I now think that we should dispense with the option of an
> ApacheCon Birds of a Feather (BoF) session. I was trying
> to ensure that we don't divert attention away from ApacheCon.
>
> So it seems that we are back to the original plan.
> Here is the current schedule:

If there's agreement on this schedule, I'll check back with
Peter Schaub.

Thanks to David for putting this together so nicely!

Johannes

> ------------------------------------
> Tuesday 19 July
>
> Event: Apache Committers Hackathon
> Time: all day
> Location: ApacheCon
>
> Event: Meeting of usability professionals (Johannes)
          In German: details see below.
> Time: 18:30 until 20:00   !! Time changed
> Location: HfT
>
> ------------------------------------
> Wednesday 20 July
>
> Event: ApacheCon Session WE16 (Ross and Ferdinand)
> Time: 14:30 until 15:30
> Location: ApacheCon
>
> Event: Apache Forrest get together
> Time: 20:00 until whenever
> Location: HfT
>
> ------------------------------------
> Thursday 21 July
>
> Event: Apache Forrest project workshop
> Time: 20:00 until whenever
> Location: HfT
>
> ------------------------------------

DRAFT

Titel:   Technische Dokumentation mit Apache Forrest
Abstract:
   Styleguides und andere Technische Dokumente stellen uns
   vor immer mehr Herausforderungen:
   - Mehrere Personen arbeiten an demselben Dokument:
     Usability-Experten, Designer, technische Autoren,
     Entwickler, ...
   - Die Leser erwarten ein Dokument im Intranet: immer
     aktuell, leicht verfügbar, hübsch "gestyled" und
     "usable".
   - Es ist eine (identische) Druckversion/PDF nötig,
     die in Datenbanken abgelegt wird.

   Mit Apache Forrest (forrest.apache.org) steht ein freies
   Publikationswerkzeug zur Verfügung, das einen hierbei
   unterstützt. Basierend auf Standards wie XML und HTML,
   kann mit Forrest aus verschiedenen Quelldokumenten (z.B.
   XML, DocBook, OpenOffice) eine einheitliche Ausgabe
   (z.B. in HTML und PDF) erzeugt werden.

   Im Vortrag stelle ich Apache Forrest vor und berichte
   über unsere Erfahrungen beim Schreiben von Styleguides.
   - Was ist Forrest und wie funktioniert es? Vor-/Nachteile.
   - Wie schreibt man die Inhalte?
   - Wie kann ich bestehende Dokumente übernehmen?
   - Wie kann man das Erscheinungsbild dem Kunden anpassen?
   - Wie kann man komplexe Dokumente strukturieren?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Date: Tuesday

Location: ApacheCon

Date: Wednesday 20:00 until whenever

Location: The HfT room.

Date: Thursday 20:00 until 21:00

Location: ApacheCon

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> Good news: we can have a room at the FHT for the
> evenings, thanks to Prof. Hauber. The faculty is
> close by the conference center, see
> http://www.hft-stuttgart.de/Hochschule/wirueberuns/Lageplan/
> It's right below the "ApacheCon" sign in the map
> http://apachecon.com/2005/EU/images/Stuttgart-Plan_gross.gif
>
> We'll need to decide when we'll meet.
>
> Prof. Hauber works in the area oif Internet Technologies,
> Web Programming, Web Content Management Systems, and
> Open Source Software. One special interest is in Apache
> (he'll try to join the conference).

Please pass on my personal thanks to Prof. Hauber. If I remember
correctly Prof. Hauber and I met whilst I was working in in Trinidad and
Tobago (if so I'll be remembered best as the "Englishman at UWI", a
stuck out a little like that :-)). I hope we get the opportunity to meet
again.

(UWI = University of the West Indies)

Prof. Hauber, and his university, have a valuable set of experiences
with respect to the use of Open Source and its utilisation within the
educational arena. We should seek to benefit from these experiences.
Apache Forrest is a valuable asset in the educational arena (that is why
I started using Forrest and why I started the related
http://www.burrokeet.org project).

Regarding his personal interests I remember them as being in
cryptography and security, maybe he has changed direction a little, or
maybe there are two Prof. Haubers, we'll soon know.

Oh yeah, and a big thank you to Johannes for coordinating this.

Ross

Re: Meetup at ApacheCon? --> Room nearby!

Posted by "Prof. Dr. P. Hauber" <pe...@hft-stuttgart.de>.
Dear Apaches,

there was a misunderstanding:

I am _interested_ in the areas mentioned above, I _don't_ really
"work" in those areas (I just teach them to undergraduates).
I work mainly in IT Security and Cryptography.

Looking forward to meeting you all,
Peter (Hauber)

Johannes Schaefer wrote:

> Good news: we can have a room at the FHT for the
> evenings, thanks to Prof. Hauber. The faculty is
> close by the conference center, see
> http://www.hft-stuttgart.de/Hochschule/wirueberuns/Lageplan/
> It's right below the "ApacheCon" sign in the map
> http://apachecon.com/2005/EU/images/Stuttgart-Plan_gross.gif
>
> We'll need to decide when we'll meet.
>
> Prof. Hauber works in the area oif Internet Technologies,
> Web Programming, Web Content Management Systems, and
> Open Source Software. One special interest is in Apache
> (he'll try to join the conference).
>
> Looking forward to see you all there!
> Johannes

Prof. Dr. Peter Hauber
FH Stuttgart - University of Applied Sciences
Department of Geomatics, Computer Science, and Mathematics
Stuttgart, Germany  --   http://www.hft-stuttgart.de
http://www.hft-stuttgart.de/Mathematik/personal/Professoren/Professor?n=16
Phone: +49-711-121-2715