Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by baz themail <ba...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/15 05:54:51 UTC

newbie question: Do i have to specify the svn location all the time?

Hi,
I was reading http://www.jaredrichardson.net/articles/svn-cheat-sheet.html.
Here is my question: When doing update, or checkout, do i need to specify
the svn location all the time like the following statement?

svn checkout --username jared --password shipit svn://opteron1/svn-repo

How can i simplify the command?

Thanks.

B.

Re: newbie question: Do i have to specify the svn location all the time?

Posted by Gavin 'Beau' Baumanis <ga...@thespidernet.com>.
Hi,

That document is ancient!
It has 1.2.3 listed as the latest version.

SVN is currently at 1.5.something 2 I think)
And it is definitely easier to find now than when the author
originally wrote that info up too!

I am really not a big fan of being told to RTFM: when I ask a question
on a mailing list...
but to be honest - in this case you'll be glad you did.

The subversion documentation is almost a thing of beauty.
For a technical document it is written in a non-technical tone and has
plenty of examples to solidify the learning process.

You could probably read it from start to end in about 2 hours. 3 if
you have a play as you go through it...

Also if you plan to use a SVN client and not the command line for
"speaking with" you repo, then TortoiseSVN is a really good place to
start and also has fabulous built-in help!

Good luck.

Beau.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.