Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joe Barrett <jn...@charter.net> on 2003/02/04 01:08:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Ben

Is there anyone out there using a Linksys Router?  I don't know how to
forward port 80 to my computer's IP.  I barely know anything about
networking really, I'm just a Java programmer trying to get a server
running.  Please pretend I'm a 3 year old when explaining terms.  Email me
at benbarrett777@yahoo.com please I really don't know how to do this.

Re: [users@httpd] Ben

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Joe Barrett wrote:

>Is there anyone out there using a Linksys Router?  I don't know how to
>forward port 80 to my computer's IP.  I barely know anything about
>networking really, I'm just a Java programmer trying to get a server
>running.  Please pretend I'm a 3 year old when explaining terms.  Email me
>at benbarrett777@yahoo.com please I really don't know how to do this.

This site will take you step by step through port forwarding:

	http://www.kareno.net/LinkSys/

I just Googled linksys router manual.  Google is your friend.  I imagine
the manual is on whatever CDROM accompanied your hardware.  When all
else fails, RTFM.

--
gt                         kk5st@sbcglobal.net
  Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:

Re: [users@httpd] Ben

Posted by Anthony Abby <an...@aplusdata.com>.
Joe Barrett said:
> Is there anyone out there using a Linksys Router?  I don't know how to
> forward port 80 to my computer's IP.  I barely know anything about
> networking really, I'm just a Java programmer trying to get a server
> running.  Please pretend I'm a 3 year old when explaining terms.  Email
> me at benbarrett777@yahoo.com please I really don't know how to do this.

Click on the Advanced tab, then select forwarding.  Then type 80 in the
port range boxes and the IP of the system you want to forward port 80 to.

Also, I highly recommend that you visit http://www.linksys.com and
download the users manaul for your model of Linksys router, and read it
thoroughly before doing anything else.

--
Anthony Abby - http://www.aplusdata.com
Comic Book Community News        | Web Programming

Re: [users@httpd] Ben

Posted by Joe Barrett <jn...@charter.net>.
how do I find which IP is mine?
(192.116.1.?)

Re: [users@httpd] Ben

Re: [users@httpd] Ben

Posted by Joe Barrett <jn...@charter.net>.
oh n/m thanks alex!

Posted by George Valpak <gv...@yahoo.com>.
Ben,

To find the internal IP address, if the below suggestion doesn't make sense to you, you should go back to the instructions you had when you hooked up your router or set up your network in the first place. You presumably had to assign a 192.168.1.x address to each of the PCs on the inside network (even if there is only one).

Do you remember setting anything in the PC's network control panel, bcause that is where you assign an IP address. See if you can find those instructions and go through them again step by step. They are very important to internalize if you are going to start doing network related stuff like Apache.

I promise you it won't be long before you have to make very similar router adjustments for ftp, telnet, ssh, or any number of other protocols. You also need to understand this stuff intrinsically if you want any firewall protection at all.

GV

RE: [users@httpd] Ben

Posted by "Alex \"Sniper\" Togstad" <sn...@3dretreat.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] Ben