Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Khosrow Moossavi <km...@cloudops.com> on 2018/03/26 16:21:48 UTC

Dockerizing Cloudstack package builders

Hi community

To make building Cloudstack's RPM or DEB packages more easily, portable and
reduce the need to
have a *correct* hardware to build them, I've Dockerized them. This is
essentially a follow up of what
Wido had done (only for deb packages though).

The proposed Builders can be found here[1] and here[2] on Github and
here[3] and here[4] on Docker Hub.

I would appreciate it if you can give your feedback of them and if need be,
promote them on the official wiki/doc/repo.

[1]: https://github.com/khos2ow/cloudstack-rpm-builder
[2]: https://github.com/khos2ow/cloudstack-deb-builder
[3]: https://hub.docker.com/r/khos2ow/cloudstack-deb-builder/
[4]: https://hub.docker.com/r/khos2ow/cloudstack-rpm-builder/

Thanks

Khosrow Moossavi

Cloud Infrastructure Developer

t 514.447.3456

<https://goo.gl/NYZ8KK>

Re: Dockerizing Cloudstack package builders

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 03/26/2018 11:38 PM, Khosrow Moossavi wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback Wido.
>
> I, personally, wouldn't put them in *cloudstack* repo itself, since these
> are complementary tools. To me it would
> make more sense to put them under apache/ namespace on GitHub as we already
> have bunch of apache/cloudstack-*
> repos. And under apache/ or cloudstackl/ namespace on Docker Hub (whichever
> makes more sense).

Yes, probably best to do that!

> If community agrees with going forward with this proposal, I would be more
> than happy to transfer ownership of
> the GH and DH repos I created.

Ok, good! I don't know how that works with ASF though.

> That's actually a great point. I was assuming these are going to be used by
> only developers/maintainers which have

Probably, but it's always easy to use those containers and quickly get
packages build.

> the source code at their disposals. I'm gonna wait for others
> feedback/suggestions before enhancing this though.

Yes, it is. But looking good so far. Thanks again!

Wido

Posted by Khosrow Moossavi <km...@cloudops.com>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.