Posted to doxia-dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vi...@massol.net> on 2008/01/22 14:02:57 UTC

Breaking changes on Doxia trunk ok?

Hi,

I'm just starting development on Doxia and I need to understand the
strategy since I need to make lots of breaking changes to accomodate
the XWiki use cases (I'm planning to replace XWiki's rendering engine
from Radeox to Doxia).

I've just talked to VincentS and Lukas and the consensus I got was
that I could just commit away on trunk and make breaking changes since:
a) 1.0 has not been released yet and the API is not final and thus
it's the right time to do this
b) there an alpha branch that the current Doxia users (like Maven
itself) can use id they don't want to upgrade to the changes made.

So I'd like agreement that I can make my changes on trunk. Namely I'd
like to implement these (and more to come):

* http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DOXIA-203: Add support for level 6
sections and generalize Sink API for sections
* http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DOXIA-202: Add an API for getting a
tree of syntax blocks
* http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DOXIA-165: Add support for macros
* http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DOXIA-164: Add support for
strikethroughs
* http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DOXIA-163: Add support for underscores
* http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DOXIA-204: Add generic parameters
support to Figure and Link events
* http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DOXIA-205: Add new standard
parameters to figure sink API
* http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DOXIA-206: Add new standard
parameters to link sink API
* http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DOXIA-207: Add events for
recognizing words in the Sink API

WDYT?

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: Breaking changes on Doxia trunk ok?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vi...@massol.net>.
Hi guys,

I've been thinking about this today and I think the best is for me to
continue writing the XWiki parser/Sinks inside of the XWiki code base
since this will allow me the best speed of development. In practice
the infra classes I need are minimal: a Sink interface, a Parser
interface and that's all so doing my dev inside or outside of Doxia
itself doesn't matter much.

Also I'd really like to have a wrapper in XWiki so that xwiki core
code doesn't directly depend on Doxia but instead depends on some
XWiki interfaces. Thus I need to do that wrapper work anyway.

What I'll do thus is move the code I started in the maven sandbox in
XWiki's code base and refactor the sandbox implementation I have done
to use the xwiki sources as a binary dependency. It should be quite
easy to make a bridge from the direction xwiki --> doxia since the
xwiki implementation will be richer than the doxia one.

In parallel I'll wait for the 1.0 release and then start contributing
the changes I have done to Doxia.

I'll start doing a POC right now and see if this can work fine.

Thanks
-Vincent

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
2008/1/23, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>:
> Here's my view on doxia right now. I understand Vincent M's need for
> somewhere to commit his stuff to, so let's try to solve that as quickly
> as possible. In order to do that I propose yet another alternative
>
> D) Create an xwiki-branch from the current trunk, where Vincent can add
> him xwiki implementation. Including changes to the core.

I prefer B ... and D. I know it is in contradiction!

> My reasoning behind this is that I feel that we are in risk of loosing
> control of doxia, if we don't create a release plan soon. However that
> is the topic of another e-mail (which I will start soon). And I don't

Waiting for your mail to decide :)

> want that discussion to stop Vincent M's xwiki momentum.

Agree, it is definitely that we don't want.

Cheers,

Vincent

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.