Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2008/01/09 09:00:15 UTC

Can't stop samples that embed Tomcat, was: R1.1. sample chart and 1.1-RC0 - Re: R1.1 Sample Failures

Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
[snip]

> Thanks, the chart is useful.
>
> I updated it to flag that I'm looking at the stop issue with
> feed-aggregator. Even though it's marked OK, I think it'll be better if
> it correctly stops, and I know that code.

[snip]

The issue is with the thread pool used by the embedded Tomcat server. It
can prevent stopping other Tomcat based samples as well.

Diagnosis and the fix to trunk are documented in TUSCANY-1953 [1].

I suggest to not take risks as the problem existed in previous releases
and only release the fix in release 1.2.

While debugging I came across a more serious issue with the 1.1 distro,
described in TUSCANY-1954 [2].

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1953
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1954
--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Can't stop samples that embed Tomcat, was: R1.1. sample chart and 1.1-RC0 - Re: R1.1 Sample Failures

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 9, 2008 3:57 PM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> Simon Laws wrote:
> > Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
> >> While debugging I came across a more serious issue with the 1.1 distro,
> >> described in TUSCANY-1954 [2].
> [snip]
> >> [2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1954
> >
> > I've seen this issue for all of the releases we've done to date.
> [snip]
> > I suggest we choose one or the other for the all/manifest jar.
>
> +1, which one do people prefer?

All else being equal Tomcat as its an Apache project, but doesn't Tomcat
cause the problem with not shutting down?

   ...ant

Re: Can't stop samples that embed Tomcat, was: R1.1. sample chart and 1.1-RC0 - Re: R1.1 Sample Failures

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I prefer to choose Jetty until TUSCANY-1953 is fixed. Leaving samples
hanging is not a good experience.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

> +1, which one do people prefer?

I don't have a preference but, arbitrarily, I'm trying the build with
tuscany-host-jetty at the moment to see if it works.

Simon

Re: Can't stop samples that embed Tomcat, was: R1.1. sample chart and 1.1-RC0 - Re: R1.1 Sample Failures

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Simon Laws wrote:
> Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
>> While debugging I came across a more serious issue with the 1.1 distro,
>> described in TUSCANY-1954 [2].
[snip]

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Sebastien,

Thanks for investigating. Re. the  not stopping  issue...

> I suggest to not take risks as the problem existed in previous releases
> and only release the fix in release 1.2.

+1

> While debugging I came across a more serious issue with the 1.1 distro,
> described in TUSCANY-1954 [2].

 <http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1953>
> [2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1954

I've seen this issue for all of the releases we've done to date. It hasn't
been impacting the correct running of the samples as far as I can tell and
is a product of the slightly strange situation of

1 - shipping both host-tomcat and host-jetty in the manifest/all jar
2 - providing no way of choosing which to use

Each host is registered by its activator, e.g, JettyRuntimeModuleActivator;

servletHosts.addServletHost(server);

The servlet host is chosen in, for example, the ws-axis binding, when the
provider factory (Axis2BindingProviderFactory) is created.

this.servletHost = servletHosts.getServletHosts().get(0);

The order in which the Activators are processed, and hence which one as
returned by get(0), can vary from run to run not least because the service
providers are manipulated via a HashSet as they are read from the classpath.