Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/05/16 19:56:57 UTC

Re: Traffic Control Podling Bundled Dependencies

Eric,

Some thoughts, and I'll be honest this is a better discussion for
legal-discuss over general@incubator.

Generally speaking the ASF is cautious about hostile forks.  However, it
looks like the author is comfortable with forks of the project for this
notion (https://bitbucket.org/liamstask/goose/issues/58/is-this-project-dead).
The email you've sent uses "vendor" a few times and I'm not sure what the
meaning/use is in this setup, but it looks like you're talking about
duplicating it.  Its MIT licensed so using it would not be a problem from a
source code stand point.

Another way to look at this is to bring the project into Apache.  We
recently did that with Gossip and it worked well (though we did eventually
get the author to sign an SGA).  If we don't get an SGA, I would recommend:

- Not relicensing existing code, and avoiding changing existing code
wherever possible.
- Introducing new code as ASF based
- Making sure the LICENSE file correctly calls this out.

I would recommend against reusing the name goose.  While the source is
allowable, its not a transfer of the name.

John

Posted by "Eric Friedrich (efriedri)" <ef...@cisco.com>.
Thanks John.

By vendoring I did indeed mean duplicating code for the purpose of guaranteeing availably and locking the particular revision in use.

I’ll clarify and check in with legal-discuss

—Eric