Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com> on 2001/03/02 20:36:04 UTC

Re: 4.0b1 manager not working

Michael Engelhart wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble getting the manager application to run on Mac OS X.  I'm under the impression from reading the docs and searching the archive that all I have to do is add a user with the manager role to tomcat-users.xml and then go to http://localhost:8080/manager/
>
> and I'll be prompted for a username/password and then have access.
>
> Well, after downloading a fresh copy and making that single change to the tomcat-users.xml file, when I go to type http://localhost:8080/manager context I get this message:
>
>    Cannot find message associated with key managerServlet.unknownCommand
>
> if i add the trailing slash to the manager context like http://localhost:8080/manager/
>
> I just get a blank directory listing page.
>
> Am I missing something?  Tomcat 3.2.1 works fine on the same system.

The manager app does not have an HTML based user interface -- it accepts individual commands as part of the request uri.  For example, to cause a webapp at context path "/myapp" to be reloaded, you would request:

    http://localhost:8080/manager/reload?path=/myapp

The details of what commands are accepted are in the Javadoc comments for the servlet class (org.apache.catalina.servlets.ManagerServlet).

Craig McClanahan