Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Bastien ROUCARIES <ro...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/15 13:13:59 UTC

Be distribution friendly

Hi,

I plan to package flex for debian.

You are  not really distribution friendly particularly for debian!
1. You use a monolithic build tree. It means that we should take a
take it all approach. It slow down the packaging work and render
review (by legal team) slow. Could be possible to have a modularized
approach ? I means that every jar in lib/ has it own package and we
could compile independantly, and does not need to source include them.
I am mainly interested on mxmlc not debugger.
2. Could be possible then to do not use and even get source needing
air/ Adobe Flash Player Content Debugger (it seems possible I compiled
mxmlc without it) ? It is not free and not suitable for distro.
3. Could be possible to use your packaged saxon/xerces/javacc/battikk
and so on. If not could you document why and include patch from
upstream (as a distro we could include it on your package).
4. Could be possible to use joola for playerglobal [1] see also
tamarin project [2]

Thank you very much

Bastien

PS: I have openned https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34221

[1] https://github.com/CoreMedia/jangaroo-libs/tree/master/jooflash/src/main/joo/flash
[2] https://github.com/mozilla/shumway/issues/982

Re: Be distribution friendly

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/16/14 3:42 AM, "Bastien ROUCARIES" <ro...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>And for batik you need I suppose to convert batick format to imageio.
>In this case you could use
>http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.twelvemonkeys.imageio/twelvemonkeys-
>imageio-batik
>
>Does it suit to your need ?
I don't think we need imageio, but I could be wrong.  I don't know this
code that well.

-Alex

Re: Be distribution friendly

Posted by Bastien ROUCARIES <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
BTW, are you aware of the flex-falcon compiler project?  It is packaged
separately and produces SWFs without hacking Batik and Velocity.  We're
working on is 'alpha' release.

-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Bastien ROUCARIES <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Bastien ROUCARIES <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by Bastien ROUCARIES <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com> wrote:
> On 15/04/14 16:22, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
>>
>> main in order to compile some part of latex. So we need to compile
>
> What has Latex got to do with Apache Flex ? We're not
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flex_lexical_analyser :-)

Some part of LaTex use flash in order to include video in pdf presentation.

We have other use of flex like for instance compiling test case of
lightspark and a few javascript library that use some flash file we
could not compile

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by Bastien ROUCARIES <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com> wrote:
> On 15/04/14 14:21, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
>>
>> and set flex in the main archive that is we want to be able to compile
>> with free tools/source in order to get in the main archive. Fedora
>
> I don't think you have to be able to compile from all-free sources in order
> to have Flex in Debian, but I maybe wrong.

I do not need in order to get in non free, but in this case we need in
main in order to compile some part of latex. So we need to compile
from all-free sources.

Bastien

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by Bastien ROUCARIES <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com> wrote:
> On 15/04/14 12:13, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
>>
>> I plan to package flex for debian.
>
> Awesome ! One of the reasons I wanted to test the new Ant-based installer
> for this was it would greatly simplify doing this.
> You could potentially do what the Flash plugin installer does, and popup a
> message asking to agree to the terms.
> If the Debian package depended on ant and the JVM, then you'd be able to
> execute the install task on behalf of the user easily.

No the goal is to compile flash file from debian archive. This
solution is not possible at least for now. We want to use apt tools
and set flex in the main archive that is we want to be able to compile
with free tools/source in order to get in the main archive. Fedora
have the same goals so  no we should only use free sofware.

Bastien

Posted by Bastien ROUCARIES <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Christofer Dutz
<ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:
> I was simply refering to the previous post about platform independent installer that is pretty distribution friendly (At least it should be).
> I didnÄt quite grasp the original problem you were having though.

The problem is that it does not suit to your need. We need to rebuild
from source a few flash file or to complitly remove part of our
distribution.

Using a installer like thus does not fullfill your social contract (it
must be rebuilt from source).

We appreciate your effort but we want to compile from source flex (at
least mxml).

Bastien

AW: Be distribution friendly

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I was simply refering to the previous post about platform independent installer that is pretty distribution friendly (At least it should be).
I didnÄt quite grasp the original problem you were having though.

Chris

Posted by Bastien ROUCARIES <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by Bastien ROUCARIES <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> 1. You use a monolithic build tree. It means that we should take a
>> take it all approach. It slow down the packaging work and render
>> review (by legal team) slow. Could be possible to have a modularized
>> approach ?
> Creating Apache releases for all of pieces would be a lot of work.

Yes I know but we could help. For me the first part will to compile
the swfdump and swfutils ? Does it suit ?

But in this case I must know the interaction with batik and other
external ressources.

>> 2. Could be possible then to do not use and even get source needing
>> air/ Adobe Flash Player Content Debugger
> It's only required to run the mustella tests - so wouldn't be needed for a package. It is of course very useful for debugging. AIR is not required unless you want to make desktop or mobile projects.

Nice could be documented somewhere ? For debian we need to purge this
king of files due to not being able to compile it.

>> 3. Could be possible to use your packaged saxon/xerces/javacc/battikk
>> and so on.
> I believe changes were made to these that couldn't be put into the original repos and they are now a couple of versions behind those repos.

Do you have documentation

>> 4. Could be possible to use joola for playerglobal [1] see also
>> tamarin project [2]
> Perhaps  does anyone know if it work 100% and all unit tests pass etc?

No this is work in progress but they have implemented a lot of interface.

Thanks

Bastien

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,