Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2010/09/18 01:34:46 UTC

Use of volatile images (PIVOT-390)

Hi all,

PIVOT-390 describes an issue with volatile images that several developers have now run into. Disabling the use of the volatile image buffer resolves the problem.

I see two potential solutions to this:

1) Provide a startup property that disables the use of volatile image buffers (and uses standard buffered images only).

2) Drop the use of volatile images for back-buffering altogether.

On my system (OS X), I don't notice any difference between plain old buffered image buffering and volatile image buffering. However, I think it may be more noticeable on Windows.

I lean slightly towards #1 above - what do others think?

Greg

Re: Use of volatile images (PIVOT-390)

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
I vote #1

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
I have already added support for option 1 so it is possible for users to disable volatile images. However, I think it is preferable to leave them enabled by default since this problem does not appear to affect most users, and it does improve performance.