Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by vieksmiles <vi...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/27 14:58:37 UTC

max server down an activemq can tolerate in replicated levedb store?

Hi,

I've installed *activemq(5.13-SNAPSHOT)* in 3 servers(A,B,C) and Zookeeper
in all three. I'm doing replicated LevelDB store approach.

I produced 10 msgs(I can see all of them in one of the servers on UI). Now
if I shutdown activemq process in server-A, I can receive msgs but if I
shutdown activemq in server-B also, i'm not able receive any msgs.

NOTE:I'm using failover as

failover:(tcp://server-A:61616,tcp://server-B:61616,tcp://server-C:61616)?randomize=false

My doubt is

*what is max no of server failover activemq can handle

*Or is there any fixed no of servers to be up and running for activemq to
work(as 2 in my 3 clusters)

Please help me I serched for this in web, but went in vain..

Re: max server down an activemq can tolerate in replicated levedb store?

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
Typically you need N/2 + 1 nodes for a cluster to be active, so a 3-node
cluster can only handle one simultaneous failure.  If you want to handle 2
simultaneous failures, use a 5-node cluster; for 3, use a 7-node cluster.

None of this is specific to ActiveMQ; this applies to many clustered
technologies: LevelDB, Zookeeper, Oracle, etc.

Tim