Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Xavier MACHENAUD <xa...@st.com> on 2001/05/02 11:22:41 UTC

XML based system architecture

Hi,

I'm in the process of designing an XML based application and I'm running
into a problem.

I want to separate the Presentation layer (XML server) and the Business
Logic layer (servlet/cgi/...) by using XML : the presentation layer is
querying  the business logic layer which is returning XML data.
Of course, I don't want my BL layer to do any output formatting.

        http
+-----+ get/post  +-----+       query         +-----+
|user | --------> |     | ------------------> |     |
|agent|           |Pres.|                     | BL  |
|     | <-------  |layer| <------------------ |layer|
+-----+  html     +-----+        XML          +-----+
         pdf      Xml Server                Servlet/cgi/...
         wml

My problem is how can implement such an architecture?
More specifically, what protocol (compatible with that fact that there
could be a firewall between the 2 layers) can be used to query the BL
servlet?

Cheers,
Xavier

Re: XML based system architecture

Posted by James Melton <ja...@cylogix.com>.
The big problem seems to be dealing with a firewall between the Business
and Presentation layers. I think most people would consider separating
these two layers by a firewall to be overkill.

Have you looked into establishing a socket connection? If these
connections are long-lived you would be more concerned about throughput
than the time required to establish the connection. In that situation
using a socket with your own messages for requests and XML replies
should make marshaling pretty fast. Of course you have to work out the
firewall configuration that allows this as well as designing the initial
handshaking to establish the connection. If you want many short-lived
connections you may do better with HTTP, I'm not sure.

No matter what you do it sounds like a lot of work. Hope to hear about
your solution,
Jim.

Posted by Alistair Hopkins <al...@berthengron.co.uk>.
http

but this will be inefficient

why not separate them but have them running in the same MVC framework

ie,

the controller calls the BL layer which returns XML, then the controller
calls the presentation layer with the returned XML which processes it
appropriately via XSL?

Alistair