Posted to builds@apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2016/09/02 10:11:05 UTC

Splitting a large build into _many_ smaller builds

Hi,

In the Apache Sling project we have 4 big jobs which contains a large
number of Maven modules ( I counted ~350 pom.xml files ) .

These jobs aren't terribly stable since if one module fails the whole
build is marked as failed ( or unstable ) and the build is stopped
without building any additional modules.

I wonder whether there's an option to split the large jobs into much
smaller per-module or per-module-group jobs. A very rough estimate
would be that we would generate maybe ~100 builds instead of 4.

We can automate the job creation and management using the Jenkins Job
DSL plugin [1], so we won't need any assistance migrating/managing the
jobs.

I expect that many of these builds are quit lightweight, but I'm not
sure if this puts additional pressure on Jenkins or is undesirable for
any other reason.

So my question is - is this something that we can work with, including
installing the Job DSL Plugin to manage automatic creating of jobs?

Thanks,

Robert

[1]:�https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Job+DSL+Plugin