Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Dave Cahill <dc...@midokura.com> on 2013/09/03 12:02:17 UTC

Handling Public network traffic in a plugin

Hi,

A few months back I mailed the list to explain how (and why) the MidoNet
plugin handles Public traffic as well as Guest traffic - see [1] for
details. Essentially, we plug the System VMs into the virtual network the
same way we plug in guest VMs, and the virtual network takes care of all
routing between the public IPs and the VMs in the virtual network.

It's kind of cool. :)

Since there is no real support for plugins handling Public traffic, our
implementation just overrides the existing PublicNetworkGuru in the
component XML files. This means it's easy for CloudStack devs to break the
integration without realizing. For example, a recent change [2] made it
such that Providers are only called if they are in the network service map
for a network. This is a smart change, but since the default network
offering for Public networks has no Providers defined, the MidoNet provider
no longer gets called, and Public traffic doesn't work correctly.

I can work around that by manually (in the db) adding MidoNet as a provider
for the default System network offering whenever I deploy, but I think that
might make it even easier for people to break the integration! Would it
make sense to add MidoNet as a provider on the default System network
offering upstream?

Any other thoughts / comments also welcome.

Thanks,
Dave.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cloudstack-dev/201303.mbox/%3CCALytfWbet9CCYzOrCFVhe4OdOG11+wmwc6P_w52VD4Zgpaiw3g@mail.gmail.com%3E
[2]
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=blobdiff;f=server/src/com/cloud/network/NetworkManagerImpl.java;h=bcb0e99be1fea28e89ff8ef51a5c15c091f1a116;hp=68b1b4f9497d1dabed0e884d7db2f1810a91b290;hb=c86e8fcae54a6af566ec87cf81b3ae228dfacbf8;hpb=1c31ee22d40d77c10593d87b8237cd0489d192cc

Re: Handling Public network traffic in a plugin

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Yes Dave,

And maybe more generic: plugin installation procedures would be yet
another level of api permission. They would be allowed to do even more
then admins.

Like add our system network offerings.

regards,
Daan