Posted to user@poi.apache.org by guruk <gu...@bpatech.com> on 2010/05/24 12:35:41 UTC

Could POI open Password Protected Excel Sheet....

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if poi can open password protected excel file to
convert it to csv, i have the password for the excel file but dont know how
to use it in POI....

Thanks in advance..

Re: Could POI open Password Protected Excel Sheet....

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
As far as I know (and I could well be wrong as there are many people using
the API and modifying it to suit their needs, so it is always wise to wait
to see if another list member replies), POI can process password protected
workbooks as long as they are not encrypted. If it were me, I would write
just a very simple piece of code to try to open the workbok, get a sheet
from it and print out the contents of a few cells. At least that would tell
you whether the API is able to parse this particular workbook. This would
also give you the chance to play with a class that Josh created - I do not
know if he meant it to be used in this way but it would be well worth a go I
think -
p://poi.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/poi/hssf/record/crypto/Biff8DecryptingStream.html.
Personally, I have not knowingly seen this used and would be interested to
find out what happens.

If that fails, then you have a few options open to you. As far as I know -
although I have never used this tool - there is a commercial product
marketed by a company called Aspose; quite expensive but they may offer a
limited trial product. Further, if you are running under windows, you can
use OLE/COM automation and a third party library such as JACOB or the OLE32
package from the Standard Widget Toolkit to actually control an instance of
Excel from Java code and that will certainly be able to process the
workbook. OpenOffice may be a third option but I do not know if it is able
to work with encrypted workbooks any better than is POI.

Yours

Mark B

Posted by guruk <gu...@bpatech.com>.

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.