Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Behrad Zari <be...@yahoo.com> on 2011/07/31 08:35:02 UTC

Patching MultiView to CouchDB 1.1

Howdy,
We were using Norman's multiview patched into couchdb in production. Since Norman has moved multiview to a forked version from couchdb trunk recently we were unable to use multiview alongside Couchdb 1.1
Anyone trying to do that!?

Dear Norman, which erl files should be compiled and patched into a Couchdb compiled from the main trunk?
is there any compatibiliy issues across Couchdb versions? We want to have an standlone multiview patch, to be installed into our compiled CouchDB from the main trunk!

yours,

--Behrad

Re: Patching MultiView to CouchDB 1.1

Posted by Behrad Zari <be...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Benoit,
I'd read that Couchbase supports some more nice features (like geocouch,...) but I'm afraid of it's support to be used in a production environment. As you know they have not released on Couchdb 1.1 yet but I should find or here more about their release regularity, feature support and standardization, stability and...

--Behrad

________________________________
> We were using Norman's multiview patched into couchdb in production. Since Norman has moved multiview to a forked version from couchdb trunk recently we were unable to use multiview alongside Couchdb 1.1
> Anyone trying to do that!?
>
> Dear Norman, which erl files should be compiled and patched into a Couchdb compiled from the main trunk?
> is there any compatibiliy issues across Couchdb versions? We want to have an standlone multiview patch, to be installed into our compiled CouchDB from the main trunk!
>
> yours,
>
> --Behrad

In couchbase code I saw an interesting features allowing to merge
views. THat something I want to test this week-end, but filippe will
have fore sure more details about it.

- benoit

Re: Patching MultiView to CouchDB 1.1

Posted by Behrad Zari <be...@yahoo.com>.
Filipe David Manana <fd...@...> writes:

> Yes, there's a view merging feature in Couchbase. While it's targeted
> for the clustered version, it will be available in the next version of
> the non-clustered version ("Single") and publicly documented.
>
> It's actually generic enough and allows to merge local and remote
> views (other servers). It also allows to do a merging in a recursive,
> sort of hierarchical, manner. That is, you can merge views with the
> result of other merges.
>
> It also allows to merge _all_docs from several sources.
>
> Unlike Norman's patch, it doesn't offer intersection however (and it's
> not a goal to do it).
>
> Volker is updating it for the GeoCouch world.
>
> At this point it has a few implementation details specific to
> Couchbase, most of it will go away early this week.
> As soon as I become happy enough with the implementation, and it
> becomes popular, I'll consider it for submission.

Filipe,
I'll be looking forward to see it in Couchbase Single Server 2.0 as you
mentioned!

Can you link me to the technical documentation? I walked couchbase.com
but found no documentation about couchbase 1.1 and developing on it!

thanks,

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.

--
Filipe David Manana,
fdmanana@gmail.com, fdmanana@apache.org

Re: Patching MultiView to CouchDB 1.1

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Behrad Zari <be...@yahoo.com>.
>the files required for a patch are >bitarray.erl >bitarray.erl-hipe_bifs >bloom.erl >multiview.erl >multiview.hrl >multiview_httpd.erl >(rename bitarray.erl-hipe_bifs to bitarray.erl and compile c(bitarray, >native). for a native version). >I haven't updated github for a while, I was trying to get a patch into >trunk if there is enough interest than I can update github and try >again. >thanks, Norman
I'll try to get multiview working in CouchDB 1.2x and let you know what happens Norman.
Thanks,

>I've been trying to catch up on what this patch does and found out that
>I could use it too. Where can I get it?

>Regards,

>Michael.
You can find the code here: https://github.com/normanb/couchdb
You can choose between
1) downloading and installing Norman's forked version from the above url
OR
2) download the required files as Norman said, compile and patch them to your own CouchDB.

Posted by Behrad Zari <be...@yahoo.com>.
I'm looking forward to hear from you Norman!
We really need it till we can port to a new solution!

yours,
--Behrad

Posted by Norman Barker <no...@gmail.com>.
Benoit,