Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net> on 2004/02/25 01:27:56 UTC

[codec] more granular artifacts

Hello,

I have now been party to the Commons Codec project being used in two
non-Jakarta projects, Apache Maven and Apache XML-RPC.  In both, the
only reason it is desirable is the Base64 codec, and in both cases the
communities involved are grudgingly introducing a dependency on
commons-codec.  I have seen members of both projects propose just
copying the source code and reusing that instead of requiring a runtime
dependency on the jar.

In order to promote the reuse of commons-codec instead of the
source-code-copy reuse strategy, I propose modifying the codec build to
create certain additional artifacts that might be more palatable to
developers in this situation.  I envision a commons-codec.jar including
everything the current one does, a commons-codec-api.jar including just
the common interfaces, a commons-codec-base64.jar including only
Base64.class, etc.  It could easily be done with the maven reactor, and
I volunteer to do the work.  Since I am not a commons committer, I
wanted to get some of your feelings on this before I plunge in.  Are
there any disadvantages to this approach I have missed?

I cross-posted to xmlrpc-dev to get the rest of the team's input on this
as well.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks

Re: [codec] more granular artifacts

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Ryan Hoegg wrote:
> In order to promote the reuse of commons-codec instead of the
> source-code-copy reuse strategy, I propose modifying the codec build to
> create certain additional artifacts that might be more palatable to
> developers in this situation.

Ryan, this is a great idea - to create separate artifacts which are geared
towards specific uses.

_____
Tim O'Brien