Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Alvar Freude <al...@merz-akademie.de> on 2001/02/11 08:26:11 UTC

print is slow under mod_perl

Hi,

on my machine each type of print / output under mod_perl to the browser
is VERY slow!

checked with embperl or plain mod_perl: if the text length is long, it
takes a lot of time, e.g. about 4 seconds for an 200 KByte text, checked
from localhost!

the hole calculating time before output is about 0.25 seconds.

CGI Perl is as fast as expected.

has anybody an idea?

I use Apache 1.3.12 and mod_perl 1.23

Ciao
  Alvar

Re: print is slow under mod_perl

Posted by Alvar Freude <al...@merz-akademie.de>.
Hi,

> Do you see the same problem with static text ?

yes, static text and CGI: no problem, as fast as expected. Only
everything running under mod_perl is slow. very strange ...

> Could it be a difference between MSIE and Netscape, like Eddie described in
> his post ?

no, i checked it with apache bench!

So, i hope with the next update it is away; or with the next full system
update -- i have to reinstall the hole machine and guess it works fine
after it is new, if no other have the same problem it should be a
problem of my installation.

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

> > Looks like you have an Embperl 1.3 beta version. In some of them was a
bug
> > in calculating the content_length, so the browser waits until a time out
> > before he displays your text. Upgrade to 1.3.0 should solve this problem
>
> no, that has nothing to do with embperl, it's the same with plain
> mod_perl, so I guess it's a mod_perl problem:

Do you see the same problem with static text ?

Could it be a difference between MSIE and Netscape, like Eddie described in
his post ?

Gerald

Re: print is slow under mod_perl

Posted by Alvar Freude <al...@merz-akademie.de>.
Hi,

> Looks like you have an Embperl 1.3 beta version. In some of them was a bug
> in calculating the content_length, so the browser waits until a time out
> before he displays your text. Upgrade to 1.3.0 should solve this problem

no, that has nothing to do with embperl, it's the same with plain
mod_perl, so I guess it's a mod_perl problem:

Plain mod_perl:

	$r->header_out('Content-Length', length($$textref));
	$r->header_out('Connection', 'close');
	$r->send_http_header;

	$r->print($$textref) unless $r->header_only;
	$r->rflush();

hmmm!

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,