Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alex Blewitt <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/08 09:57:20 UTC

[classlib][pack200] Status update

I've been getting further towards the Pack200 implementation with
finishing off the codecs that are used to decode values from the file.
Although most of the default codecs were in place, the pack200 spec
allows for dynamic switching to arbitrary codecs should the compressor
warrant it, including a population-based encoding for (in)frequent
values. I've submitted Harmony 1019 with the patch; if someone could
apply that, I'd be grateful.

At present, the pack200 algorithm gets as far as the inner class
definitions, but I've still got to decode the annotations and
bytecode. I'm thinking that as a first-cut, I will ignore any pack
files with annotations in and plough through the bytecode so that we
can at least start using it for simple pack files.

I've got a bit of work left to integrate the dynamic switching of band
encodings (but that's OK since most of the simple pack files only use
the default) that will involve a bit of refactoring, and essentially
then just the bytecode (as long as there are no annotations). I don't
think it will be too long before we can unpack simple files on some of
the lower-quality settings :-)

Also, when I get around to implementing some of the coding (as opposed
to decoding), I'm pretty sure that some of the techniques might be
useful for compressing arbitrary data streams. It would be interesting
to see what other uses there are for the codecs.

Onwards, upwards, and/or sideways,

Alex.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [classlib][pack200] Status update

Posted by Alex Blewitt <al...@gmail.com>.
Cool, thanks.

On 11/08/06, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Done in 430723

Alex.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [classlib][pack200] Status update

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Done in 430723

Posted by Alex Blewitt <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Finally it's in!  :)

Posted by Alex Blewitt <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
I've found this file in

Posted by Alex Blewitt <al...@gmail.com>.
I'm pretty sure that I added it in a different location at one point.
I've added a new patch to the Harmony-1019 that supersedes the others,
and it's got JustResources in it.

Could you try that one instead?

Apologies for all the hastle :-)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Mikhail,

I believe it is in HARMONY-634.  You can read the history on that issue.

Regards,
Tim

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: Re: Re: Re: [classlib][pack200] Status update

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
The test still fails.

Posted by Alex Blewitt <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Blewitt <al...@gmail.com>.