Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com> on 2001/12/12 00:01:58 UTC

Xerces validation features: change in description.

We want to finalize the description of Xerces validation features and
related properties.
The default configuration will be switched to
StandartParserConfiguration, meaning that the default parser includes
the following components: scanners, DTDValidator, NamespaceBinder.

http://xml.org/sax/features/validation
--------------------------------------
true
report validation errors
false
Do not report validation errors.

Note: If this feature is set to true, the document must specify a
grammar.
If "http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/properties/schemaLanguage" property is
not set,
the parser will decide against which grammar validation occur and it
will
depend on the pipeline:<bold> the default parser configuration does not
include XML schema validator</bold>.

http://apache.org/xml/features/validation/schema
--------------------------------------
true
Insert XMLSchemaValidator in the pipeline. If DTD is not found,
validation will occur against
XML Schema.
Note: this feature will only take effect if
http://xml.org/sax/features/validation is set to true.
false
Validation outcome depends on http://xml.org/sax/features/validation
feature and the pipeline.

We should either introduce a new Xerces schemaLanguage property or use
JAXPs one.
That will depend on final definition of this feature in JAXP

http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/properties/schemaLanguage
Defined in JAXP. [see thread "Re: JAXP, validation, schemas"]
Note:
If XML Schema is specified via this property, Xerces implementation will
add to the StandardParserConfiguration XML Schema validator.

Open issue: do we allow changing the value of schemaLanguage property
between different parse() calls?

Comments?
--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto

Re: Xerces validation features: change in description.

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.
Elena Litani wrote:

> We should either introduce a new Xerces schemaLanguage property or use
> JAXPs one.
> That will depend on final definition of this feature in JAXP
>
> http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/properties/schemaLanguage
> Defined in JAXP. [see thread "Re: JAXP, validation, schemas"]
> Note:
> If XML Schema is specified via this property, Xerces implementation will
> add to the StandardParserConfiguration XML Schema validator.
>
> Open issue: do we allow changing the value of schemaLanguage property
> between different parse() calls?
>
> Comments?

Would it be OK to hold off on any code changes until we figure out the
spec issues?  Or is there some deadline you are trying to make?

The JAXP RI 1.2.0 includes Xerces2-beta3 and it attempts to implement
the JAXP 1.2 spec.  The way I've implemented it is to only change code
in the Xerces jaxp implementation classes and not in any core Xerces
code itself.  Hopefully, we can iron out the spec issues and come to an
agreement soon on how to implement it.

-Edwin