Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2003/01/10 11:00:29 UTC

[RT]: Names for pipeline components section

We currently have two sections named map:pipelines and map:pipeline in
the sitemap (2.1). As we all know from experience this is absolutely
confusing and wasn't a good naming idea (my fault).

I think Sylvain and Michael have already suggested new names, but
I can't remember them and I'm too lazy to search the mail archives :)

We need a new and simple name for the components section:
<map:components>
  <map:pipelines default="caching">
    <map:pipeline .../>

We can't rename (for compatibility) the other map:pipelines element.

So any suggestions?

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler
Open Source Group, S&N AG

Re: [RT]: Names for pipeline components section

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>

>>We currently have two sections named map:pipelines and map:pipeline in
>>the sitemap (2.1). As we all know from experience this is absolutely
>>confusing and wasn't a good naming idea (my fault).
>>
>>I think Sylvain and Michael have already suggested new names, but
>>I can't remember them and I'm too lazy to search the mail archives :)
>>
>>We need a new and simple name for the components section:
>><map:components>
>>  <map:pipelines default="caching">
>>    <map:pipeline .../>
>

> What about simply map:pipe[s]?

Yeah, pipe[s] makes great sense!

A pipeline is the whole thing, the "pipe" is simply the 'tube' that
connects the pieces.

Great idea.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [RT]: Names for pipeline components section

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 03:23:54PM +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Michael Melhem wrote:
> > I recall suggesting map:pipe in an earlier discussion because it
> > would confirm to "noun-verb" convention that already exists in
> > the sitemap.
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103642811405234&w=2
> >
> > However, there the issue of "backwards compatibly" as Torsten points
> > out.
> >
> Okay, we *could* (don't know right now if it's good) deprecate
> the 2.0.x map:pipelines and map:pipeline and allow for a transition
> period both versions for defining pipelines: map:pipeline and
> map:pipe.
> And the in 2.1 newly introduced components are then map:pipelines
> resp. map:pipeline.
> At least this would be consistent.
>
> What do you think?

Having noun-verb consistency in the sitemap would be nice.

It would be a substantial name change, but I dont see a major problem with it
as long both naming conventions are supported for a while as you suggest. I dont know
what others think though.

Regards,
Michael

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Michael Melhem wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 10:21:36AM -0500, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>>Michael Melhem wrote:

>>>Yes generally "pipe" is a noun...but how about "to pipe something through"
>>>in this context it would be a verb ....
>>>

>>... this will result in "pipe" (n) - "pipe" (v) pair ... we made a circle :)
>>
>>So, options for the pair are:
>>
>>pipeline - pipeline (existing)
>>pipe - pipeline
>>pipeline - pipe
>>processor - process
>>piper - pipe
>>
>>Other suggestions?
>

> I was actually thinking:
>
>  <components>
>    <map:matchers>
>    </map:matchers>
>
>    <map:pipelines>
>     <map:pipeline/>
>    </map:pipelines>
>  </components>
>  ..
>
>  <map:pipes>
>    <map:pipe>
>      <map:act>
>      <map:match>
>    </map:pipe>
>
>    <map:pipe>
>    </map:pipe>
>  </map:pipes>
>
> thats my suggestion anyway :)

I'm sorry, but I'm -1 on such a severe back incompatible change for a
simple naming reason. That would be a great way to piss people off (at
least, I would be)

Besides, I already explained why <pipe> as a component and <pipeline> as
a sitemap concept make sense and keep back compatibility.

Sitemap 1.1 should be extending Sitemap 1.0, not provide any
back-incompatible change, otherwise this is really sitemap 2.0 and I
woundn't like that.

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 10:21:36AM -0500, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Michael Melhem wrote:

> >>... the only problem being that also pipe is a noun, it does not mean
> >>"somebody who makes pipelines". Currently, generator is "somebody who
> >>generates", transformer is "somebody who transforms", etc.
> >>
> >>But "pipe" noun does not describe an actor, "pipe" is passive... "Piper"
> >>could be better but it means "somebody who plays pipe"...
> >>

> >Yes generally "pipe" is a noun...but how about "to pipe something through"
> >in this context it would be a verb ....
> >

> ... this will result in "pipe" (n) - "pipe" (v) pair ... we made a circle :)
>
> So, options for the pair are:
>
> pipeline - pipeline (existing)
> pipe - pipeline
> pipeline - pipe
> processor - process
> piper - pipe
>
> Other suggestions?

I was actually thinking:

 <components>
   <map:matchers>
   </map:matchers>

   <map:pipelines>
    <map:pipeline/>
   </map:pipelines>
 </components>
 ..

 <map:pipes>
   <map:pipe>
     <map:act>
     <map:match>
   </map:pipe>

   <map:pipe>
   </map:pipe>
 </map:pipes>

thats my suggestion anyway :)

Regards,
Michael

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 09:48:15AM -0500, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> >Michael Melhem wrote:
> >

> >>I recall suggesting map:pipe in an earlier discussion because it
> >>would confirm to "noun-verb" convention that already exists in
> >>the sitemap.
> >>

> ... the only problem being that also pipe is a noun, it does not mean
> "somebody who makes pipelines". Currently, generator is "somebody who
> generates", transformer is "somebody who transforms", etc.
>
> But "pipe" noun does not describe an actor, "pipe" is passive... "Piper"
> could be better but it means "somebody who plays pipe"...

Yes generally "pipe" is a noun...but how about "to pipe something through"
in this context it would be a verb .... but i was never very good
at grammer anyway :P.

Regards,
Michael

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:

> >>while the sitemap namespace was introduced exactly for this, I think
> >>that we should try to remove possible duplication of effort (and code).
> >>
> >>So, I would agree to name the Cocoon 2.1 sitemap namespace as
> >>
> >>  http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.1
> >>
> >>since it is different from the old one (and this definately helps
> >>sitemap editors!) but I would try to make an effort to have the same
> >>code interpret the two of them.
> >>
> >>This also mean that Sitemap 1.1 *extends* Sitemap 1.0, that is:
> >>
> >>  - all tags included in sitemap 1.0 keep the same meaning in 1.1
> >>  - only new elements and attributes are added to the sitemap 1.1
> >

> > How would you deprecate/eliminate elements if you inherit them all the
> > way to higher versions?
>
> By moving to a 2.0 version of the namespace, to indicate back
> incompatibility. Versioning should be kept consistent, expecially on
> namespaces: same number means perfect compatibility, same major number
> means back compatibility (if I roll forward, nothing needs to be
> changed), different major means no compatibility (in a semantic sense).
>
> I believe that we didn't remove anything from 1.0 to 1.1, did we?

No, not IIRC.

> In that case, I'd be in favor of keeping them there and log deprecation
> warning in the logs.

Am not sure about deprecated elements/attribute. I think we might have
some to cleanup the syntax (map:redirect-to jumps in mind).

Giacomo

Re: [RT]: Names for pipeline components section

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> The sitemap namespace contains a version number :
>> "http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0", so what about upgrading to
>> "1.1" ? It would be fairly easy for the TreeProcessor to
>> autoconfigure itself depending on the root element namespace and so
>> handle gracefully both versions, even inside a single Cocoon instance
>> (i.e. sitemaps and subsitemaps in different versions).
>

> while the sitemap namespace was introduced exactly for this, I think
> that we should try to remove possible duplication of effort (and code).

There will be absolutely no duplication of effort, as this will only be
a matter of adding a few lines in cocoon.xconf or
treeprocessor-builtins.xml to map different names on a single class.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Michael Melhem wrote:
>>
>>> I recall suggesting map:pipe in an earlier discussion because
>>> itwould confirm to "noun-verb" convention that already exists in the
>>> sitemap.
>>
> ... the only problem being that also pipe is a noun, it does not mean
> "somebody who makes pipelines". Currently, generator is "somebody who
> generates", transformer is "somebody who transforms", etc.
>
> But "pipe" noun does not describe an actor, "pipe" is passive...
> "Piper" could be better but it means "somebody who plays pipe"...

I also don't like much "pipe" for the same reasons.

What about "process" ? Remember that the sitemap defines how a request
is processed (pipeline only a part of it : there's also the flow) and is
executed upon a call to "Processor.process()" !

>>> However, there the issue of "backwards compatibly" as Torsten points
>>> out.
>>
>> Okay, we *could* (don't know right now if it's good) deprecate the
>> 2.0.x map:pipelines and map:pipeline and allow for a transition
>> period both versions for defining pipelines: map:pipeline and
>> map:pipe. And the in 2.1 newly introduced components are then
>> map:pipelines resp. map:pipeline.
>> At least this would be consistent.

The sitemap namespace contains a version number :
"http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0", so what about upgrading to "1.1"
? It would be fairly easy for the TreeProcessor to autoconfigure itself
depending on the root element namespace and so handle gracefully both
versions, even inside a single Cocoon instance (i.e. sitemaps and
subsitemaps in different versions).

Sylvain

Re: [RT]: Names for pipeline components section

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 02:59:17PM +0100, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> >>Yes, why not - if noone comes up with a better name, we will use that.
> >

> >I'd prefer to keep the current naming instead of that one.
> >
> >For consistency it would be map:pipeline in the components, and map:pipe
> >in the "beefy" part.
> >
> > pipeline generator transformer ...
> > pipe     generate  transform   ...
> >
> >Inverting it is not so cool IMHO. I haven't yet seen users complain it's
> >not understandable and I've never had that problem myself.
>
> I aggree - but that would not be backwards compatible.... :-/

I recall suggesting map:pipe in an earlier discussion because it
would confirm to "noun-verb" convention that already exists in the sitemap.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103642811405234&w=2

However, there the issue of "backwards compatibly" as Torsten points
out.

Regards,
Michael Melhem

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Michael Melhem wrote:

> Actually, I too think Stefeno has a valid point here.
                         ^^^^^^^

cool, first time I see my name misplelled like that. ;-)

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:01:04AM +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> > > Is this a real problem? I've never thought about such relationship.
> > > Anybody else?
> >
> > Well, if somebody thinks it is a problem we can change the java
> > classname with much less user pain.
> >
> The classes and interfaces are new for 2.1, so changing them is absolutely
> painless.
>
> Having a weekend for thinking about the naming problem, I think Stefano
> is right, that map:pipe (= a verb) is not a good choice to use for the
> pipelines section (= the section where pipelines are defined).

Actually, I too think Stefeno has a valid point here. So no objection
from me. :)

Michael

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
[...]
> The classes and interfaces are new for 2.1, so changing them is absolutely
> painless.
>
> Having a weekend for thinking about the naming problem, I think Stefano
> is right, that map:pipe (= a verb) is not a good choice to use for the
> pipelines section (= the section where pipelines are defined).
>
> So, I agree (now) that we should rename the components section from
> map:pipeline to map:pipe.
>
> Anyone against this? If not I can rename them tomorrow.

Go ahead. Ok from here.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [RT]: Names for pipeline components section

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Renamed!
>
> The pipeline components are now in the map:pipes/map:pipe section. I'm not
> sure if I really changed every sitemap/documentation etc. If you find
> any old usage please change it.

Very nice. Thank you.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Renamed!

The pipeline components are now in the map:pipes/map:pipe section. I'm not
sure if I really changed every sitemap/documentation etc. If you find
any old usage please change it.

Thanks
Carsten

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>>>what do you mean?
>>
>>map:generator    Generator.java    generate
>>map:transformer  Transformer.java  transform
>>...              ...               ...
>>map:pipe         Pipeline.java     pipeline
>

> Is this a real problem? I've never thought about such relationship.
> Anybody else?

Well, if somebody thinks it is a problem we can change the java
classname with much less user pain.

Anyway, I personally don't care about those java mappings anyway since I
don't picture people actually implementing those pipes themselves.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> [...]
>
> > The pipelines are statically built and must remain so. Having a verb
> > describing the act of piping might not reflect the concept that
> > pipelines are static assemblations of operational constructs.
> >
> > So, I like
> >
> >  <components>
> >   <pipes>
> >    <pipe>
> >
> > and
> >
> >  <pipelines>
> >   <pipeline>
> >    <match>
> >     <generate>
> >

> Too bad this breaks our mapping between java names and sitemap names.

What mappings?

Giacomo

Re: [RT]: Names for pipeline components section

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
[...]

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >

> > Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> >> Yes, why not - if noone comes up with a better name, we will use that.
> >

> > I'd prefer to keep the current naming instead of that one.
> >
> > For consistency it would be map:pipeline in the components, and map:pipe
> > in the "beefy" part.
> >
> >  pipeline generator transformer ...
> >  pipe     generate  transform   ...
> >
> > Inverting it is not so cool IMHO. I haven't yet seen users complain it's
> > not understandable and I've never had that problem myself.
>
> Careful. "pipe" is not only a verb, but also a noun. A believe that
> Giacomo was using it in that sense.
>
> Also, we made a seriuos effort to never use the same sitemap tag for
> meaning different things depending on its context (say, complete xpath
> compared to simple tag matching). This is a good pattern to follow, and
> might help a lot implementing sitemap editors in the future.
>
> Also, as far as using
>
>   <pipe>
>    <match>
>     <generate>
>
> where "pipe" is a verb, I would be against this because the pipeline are
> *not* piping themselves and are not active. They support the skeleton
> where the events flow.
>
> The pipelines are statically built and must remain so. Having a verb
> describing the act of piping might not reflect the concept that
> pipelines are static assemblations of operational constructs.
>
> So, I like
>
>   <components>
>    <pipes>
>     <pipe>
>
> and
>
>   <pipelines>
>    <pipeline>
>     <match>
>      <generate>

This was exactly what I had in mind. Thanks, Stefano, explaining it so
clearly.

Giacomo

Re: [RT]: Names for pipeline components section

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Re: Names for pipeline components section

Posted by Steven Punte <st...@yahoo.com>.
How about a more general name that works for
non-liner structures, such as
  <assembly>
    or
  <topology>
    or
  <graph>

Steve

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> We currently have two sections named map:pipelines and map:pipeline in
> the sitemap (2.1). As we all know from experience this is absolutely
> confusing and wasn't a good naming idea (my fault).
>
> I think Sylvain and Michael have already suggested new names, but
> I can't remember them and I'm too lazy to search the mail archives :)
>
> We need a new and simple name for the components section:
> <map:components>
>   <map:pipelines default="caching">
>     <map:pipeline .../>

What about simply map:pipe[s]?