Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Laurent Blume <la...@elanor.org> on 2005/11/09 11:46:12 UTC

[users@httpd] Using suexec to let users modify their vacation

Hello all,

I'm sure this has been done before, but I can't get relevant hits on
AltaVista or Google...

I need to have a web interface to let users modify their vacation
message on the mail server in the intranet. They'll authenticate
themselves first, of course, using mod_ldap.
It's a regular Solaris 8 server, using its vacation tool, only users
can't access it with a shell.

My current idea is to use mod_suexec, but it'd need to have one script
belonging to each user, in all the home/*/public_html/cgi-bin
directories. It's possible, but not very convenient.

Does anything already exist that I could use or adapt? I don't want to
reinvent the wheel (and I'm not sure I'd reinvent it round...).
It could even be PHP or another reasonably installable script language.

Thanks in advance for any idea,

Laurent

[users@httpd] Re: Using suexec to let users modify their vacation

Posted by Joshua Kugler <jo...@uaf.edu>.
On Wednesday 09 November 2005 01:46, Laurent Blume wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm sure this has been done before, but I can't get relevant hits on
> AltaVista or Google...
>
> I need to have a web interface to let users modify their vacation
> message on the mail server in the intranet. They'll authenticate
> themselves first, of course, using mod_ldap.
> It's a regular Solaris 8 server, using its vacation tool, only users
> can't access it with a shell.
>
> My current idea is to use mod_suexec, but it'd need to have one script
> belonging to each user, in all the home/*/public_html/cgi-bin
> directories. It's possible, but not very convenient.
>
> Does anything already exist that I could use or adapt? I don't want to
> reinvent the wheel (and I'm not sure I'd reinvent it round...).
> It could even be PHP or another reasonably installable script language.

DISCLAIMER: What I suggest could be very dangerous, and should only be
attempted with full knowledge of what you are doing.  That said...

I once designed a system for adding users  that was activated from a web
interface (sign up for a student web server).  After running the First Name,
Last Name and Login through regex's to weed out any shell characters, I then
called a copy of useradd that I had placed in my own directory (i.e. not the
copy in /usr/sbin/useradd.  This copy of useradd was owned by root.asuaf.
ASUAF was the user/group the main CGI's ran as.  And this copy of useradd was
only executable by the asuaf group, thus it could only be invoked from
asuaf's CGI's.

So, that is one possibility.  The other is just to go with what's already been
done and user Usermin: http://www.usermin.com/

--
Joshua Kugler
CDE System Administrator