Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Matthew Midgett <cl...@trick-solutions.com.INVALID> on 2014/11/03 16:09:32 UTC

ACS 4.4.0 - Xenserver OS Templates

How is everyone setting up their templates for different size hard drives?
Has anyone heard when root disk resize will be available for xen? It would
be far nicer to have 5GB templates and then resize the disk when the
customer provisions one. Is there any work around ATM for linux and freebsd
os?

Matthew Midgett

Re: ACS 4.4.0 - Xenserver OS Templates

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Andrija,

Thanks for the offer. I already have such templates at $work, but for obvious reasons we can't publish them on openvm.eu. :-)

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ian,
we are not using any advanced way to do stuff - we do not have lot of
Windows machines, and templates are updated in few months intervals - I
deploy 2 VMs, do the updates, convert back to templates - not the optimal
way, but since we do not have many templates (only 2 Windows ones) - this
aproach works fine for us...

in general, you have installed Window VM, do the sysprep /generalize and
that's it...

Andrija Panić
--------------------------------------
  http://admintweets.com
--------------------------------------

Re: ACS 4.4.0 - Xenserver OS Templates

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.
@Andrija

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
@Nux

--

Andrija Panić
--------------------------------------

Re: ACS 4.4.0 - Xenserver OS Templates

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
The openvm templates all come with the password script and cloud-ini, but they are primarily tested on KVM, would love feedback from other HVs.

Re interest in self-resizable stuff, the main explanation/excuse for it around here is that that's now how AWS and other big clouds do it.
Until 4.4 we were struggling as well with multiple templates; see my initial issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-6181

I can't thank Marcus, Wido and Mike enough for this. Thanks guys! :)

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Matthew Midgett <cl...@trick-solutions.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Matthew Midgett <cl...@trick-solutions.com.INVALID>.
What I mean for the work around is the scrips like you run on a raspbury pi to resize its sdcard on first boot. Xenserver API supports the resize just Cloudstack doesn't right?

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hello,