Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Keith <th...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2014/04/05 22:11:58 UTC

Word docs

I have just purchased a new laptop with Windows 8.1 but does not come with Microsoft office which I had on my old xp desktop pc
I have numerous word docs on the old pc which are also held on BT cloud. Not been too clever with computers I am unaware how I can transfer these docs to the new laptop
If I download open office onto the new laptop would it be possible for the old word docs held in the cloud to be downloaded to the laptop and be opened / read etc and then printed / attached etc etc  to emails etc as would be the case with Microsoft office.
If I wrote a new document in OpenOffice and attached to email would recipient be able to read it if they only had Microsoft office etc
Sorry for asking what for some will be very basic questions but any help advice would be very gratefully received as I cannot afford to buy MO but really need to use my old word docs
Thanks in anticipation

Keith

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Re: Google Mail Added Graphic

Posted by Tubular <tu...@iinet.com>.
Phalbe asked:

    Why change the font color to white? The object disappears after a
    few seconds, so I can't see it.

Response:
    In this case, the "Google Mail Object" does not disappear after a
few seconds when the font color is white.

Phalbe asked:

    How did you know it was an object?

Response:
    Working with background images, which this is, they are either
"images" or "objects"

Hope that helps clarify

Re: Word docs

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Keith <th...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> If I download open office onto the new laptop would it be possible for the
> old word docs held in the cloud to be downloaded to the laptop and be
> opened / read etc and then printed / attached etc etc  to emails etc as
> would be the case with Microsoft office.

Yes. Also note, it should not be necessary to have a word processing
program (or any other program except a web browser [Internet Explorer,
Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox...]) do download the files from the cloud to
your laptop.

To open/read/print the files, yes a word processor is needed. To attach to
emails the word processor isn't needed. For that a web browser or a mail
program like Outlook is needed.

> If I wrote a new document in OpenOffice and attached to email would
> recipient be able to read it if they only had Microsoft office etc

Yes. There is a condition though. Since you expect your recipients to MS
Word to read the files you need to have OpenOffice save the file in MS Word
format. This can be done:
- when the files is first created by selecting the option to save in Word
format
- with an existing file that wasn't saved in Word format by opening the
file, selecting Save as..., and then selecting the option to save in Word
format

It is also possible for your recipients with Word to read files that
OpenOffice Write saves in .odt format. That requires them to go to the
Microsoft web site to download and install an additional feature for Word
so it will read the .odt file. This remark is only included for
completeness.

Since it is easier to control what you do than it is to get others to do
things I suggest the first method. When you save a file have OpenOffice
save it in Word format.

Re: please remove me from this mailing list, thankyou

Posted by karen nonnecke <kn...@sympatico.ca>.

Re: Word docs

Posted by Tony Gallas <to...@spin.net.au>.

Re: Word docs