Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Tomas <to...@yahoo.com.ar> on 2010/08/02 17:33:46 UTC

Stress Test Solr

Hi All, we've been building an open source tool for load tests on Solr
Installations. Thetool is called SolrMeter. It's on google code
at http://code.google.com/p/solrmeter/. Here is some information about it:

SolrMeter is an stress testing / performance benchmarking tool for Apache Solr
installations.  It is licensed under ASL and developed using JavaSE and Swing
components, connected with Solr using SolrJ.

What can youdowith SolrMeter?
The main goal of this open source project is bring to the Apache Solr user
community a tool for dealing with Solr specific issues regarding performance and
stress testing like firing queries and adding documents to make sure that your
Solr instalation will support real world's load and demands. With SolrMeter you
can simulate a work load over the Apache Solr instalation and to obtain useful
visual performance statistics and metrics.
Relevant Features:
	* Execute queries against a Solr installation
	* Execute dummy updates/inserts to the Solr installation, it can be the same
server as the queries or a different one.
	* Configure number of queries to fire in a time period interval
	* Configure the number of updates/inserts in a time period.
	* Configure commits frequency during adds
	* Monitor error counts when adding and commiting documents.
	* Perform and monitor index optimization
	* Monitor query times online and visually
	* Add filter queries into the test queries
	* Add facet abilities into the test queries
	* Import/Export test configuration
	* Query time execution histogram chart
	* Query times distribution chart
	* Online error log and browsing capabilities
	* Individual query graphical log and statistics
	* and much more....

Whatdo you need for use SolrMeter?
This is one of the most interesting points about SolrMeter, the requirements are
minimal. It is simple to install and use.
	* JRE versión 1.6
	* The Solr Server you want to test.

Who can use SolrMeter?
Everyone who needs to assess the solrmeter server performance. To run the tool
you only need to know about SOLR.

Try it and tell us what you think . . . . .

    Solrmeter Group
    mailto:solrmeter@googlegroups.com

What's next?
We are now building version 0.2.0, the objetive of this new version is to evolve
SolrMeter into a pluggable architecture to allow deeper customizations like
adding custom statistics, extractors or executors.
We are also adding some usability improvements.

On future versions we want to add a better interaction with Solr request
handlers, for example, showing cache statistics online and graphically on some
chart would be a great tool.
We also want to add more usability features to make of solrmeter a complete tool
for testing a Solr instalation.
For more details on what's next che the Issues page on the google code site.

Re: Stress Test Solr

Posted by do3do3 <do...@hotmail.com>.
Hi
I need to compare the result i get from my instance i done with the results
which get from other sites who used solr as a core for search
How can i set solrmeter parameters to can do this comparison??
thanks in advance

RE: Stress Test Solr

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@buyways.nl>.
Very interersting. Could you add some information and link to the relevant wiki page [1] ?

[1]: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/BenchmarkingSolr

[...]

Posted by mb...@yahoo.com.
Tomas,

This seems like a really useful tool.

We're holding a Solr/Lucene conference in Boston, 7-8 October 2010 - and this
would be an interesting lightning talk subject.

Let me know if you need more info on the event.

- Mike Bohlig, Lucid Imagination