Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/09/18 06:06:42 UTC

US gov't crypto export

anyone care to comment on the US gov'ts easing of export restrictions?

As pathetic as it may be, from what I understand they have eliminated the
need for licenses to export 56-bit crypto, wihch means that there should
be no doubt at all about crypt() being exportable.  (yes, I know, in
theory you can do crypt() safely and argue it is not two-way but AFAIK
it isn't entirely clear if that can be supported)

Is this  true?  If so, are we willing to add code required to do crypt()
so Win32 can have consistent htaccess passwd encryption.

Hmm.  Ok.  Looks like it may not be true, the media is just lying again.
Can't find actual hard documentation on what they plan.

Oh, lovely.  cmp says, that instead of "key recovery":

    But the White House plan also boosts a different kind of back-door
    recovery method, in which a network administrator would have access to
    the plain text of a corporation's internal documents, and could provide
    this information to law enforcement. Software with this feature will be
    given the green light under the new export rules.

Erm... yea, whatever.

Ok, from the press briefing:

		 With respect to our existing policy, we have for two
    years ending this December, permitted the export of 56-bit products
    after an initial one-time review without further review by the
    government.  What we're announcing today is the maintenance of that
    window permanently.  And so 56-bit products will be freed from export
    controls after a one-time review, in perpetuity, not ending at the
    end of this year.  We are, however, removing the requirement for key
    recovery plans or key recovery commitments to be provided in return
    for that change, which was the initial condition that we extracted.

http://library.whitehouse.gov/ThisWeek.cgi?type=b&date=1&briefing=9

Re: US gov't crypto export

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Marc Slemko wrote:
> > Surely the easy way is to lift the exportable crypt() things like
> > FreeBSD use (which is based on MD5, and hence has no problems)?
>
> The easy way is to use the md5 code already built into Apache.  The only
> problem with that is it means that most Unixes can't use the same passwd
> file.

That's more-or-less what I meant - but you still have to turn it into a
crypt replacement (I agree this is pretty trivial). I think sharing the
passwd file is a non-issue - especially since we already do this on
FreeBSD (so, hey, they can share with FreeBSD, whoo!).

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/

Re: US gov't crypto export

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Bill Stoddard wrote:
> >
> > Marc Slemko wrote:
> > >
> > > anyone care to comment on the US gov'ts easing of export restrictions?
> > >
> > > As pathetic as it may be, from what I understand they have eliminated the
> > > need for licenses to export 56-bit crypto, wihch means that there should
> > > be no doubt at all about crypt() being exportable.  (yes, I know, in
> > > theory you can do crypt() safely and argue it is not two-way but AFAIK
> > > it isn't entirely clear if that can be supported)
> > >
> > > Is this  true?  If so, are we willing to add code required to do crypt()
> > > so Win32 can have consistent htaccess passwd encryption.
> >
> > I've been talking to some of IBM's security guys who keep current on the
> > regs. They tell me there are no government regs preventing us from
> > putting crypt() on Win32.  The crypt function actually hashes passwords
> > and does not encrypt them. Data put through crypt() is not recoverable
> > (i.e., it is not two way) as you say.
> >
> > If we have crypt() with clear copyrights, we should include it in Win32,
> > IMHO.
>
> Surely the snag is that to implement crypt() you have to implement DES,
> even if the crypt() interface doesn't expose the full functionality?

Exactly.  For example, with some crypt() implementations, you can actually
dump the symbols and figure out how to use it to implement two-way
encryption.  Other companies have historically had issues exporting
crypt() as well.

Re: US gov't crypto export

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: US gov't crypto export