Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Jordan Zimmerman <ra...@apache.org> on 2018/12/20 22:36:38 UTC

Downloads page template needed

Hi Folks,

Maybe it's just me but I've been having a heck of a time getting the Apache
Curator download page to conform to spec. A template with correct links
(with simple replacements for project name and version) would be
very helpful. I've been using other project download pages as a guide but
apparently many of those don't conform either.

I realize there is
https://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#download-links but that's
rather thin. At minimum that section can be expanded with examples of each
link that must be on a download page. I'd be willing to do this though I
haven't yet succeeded in getting Curator's page to conform so I need help
here.

Comments/advice appreciated,

Jordan Zimmerman
PMC Chair
Apache Curator

Re: Downloads page template needed

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 4:41 PM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...links to release artifacts must use a URL that starts with
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/curator/ ...

Or use the form-based mirror selection mechanism like we do at
https://sling.apache.org/downloads.cgi - details earlier in this
thread.

-Bertrand

Re: Downloads page template needed

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.
OK - I would now update my spec for a download page to be:

Your Apache Download page...

   - ...must have at least one link to the current release. This link must
      use the "closer" utility. For example:
      https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/PROJECT/VERSION/SOURCE-RELEASE
      - ...must have a link to the checksum and hash for the current
      release. These links must use direct links to the Apache distribution
      server. For example:
      https://www.apache.org/dist/PROJECT/VERSION/HASH-OR-CHECKSUM
      - ...must have a link to the keys file for your project. This link
      must use direct links to the Apache distribution server. For example:
      https://www.apache.org/dist/PROJECT/KEYS
      - ...should have instructions on how to verify downloads. For this
      you can include a link to the Apache documentation on verification:
      http://www.apache.org/info/verification.html
      - ...must not include a link to the top level "closer" utility (e.g.
      http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/PROJECT) as the KEYS, sigs and
      hashes are missing, as are any verification instructions.

I still need an answer on where it should be hosted. Is it acceptable to
host on Apache's wiki or must it be hosted from the project's page (
PROJECT.apache.org)?

Thank you! Once we get this agreed on I'll post a patch for the docs (I've
never done that before though - will figure it out).

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.
I still don't understand whether or not this link "
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/curator/" is allowed on the download
page at all. Sebb's last comment was "yes and no". I have trouble following
that reply. Clear guidance is needed here. Is it allowed or not? Curator
was told no. What I need is a more detailed response instead of short,
terse directives. If it's not allow then what should I use for a link to
mirrors? Must I include the full list of mirrors like other sites do? Much
more guidance is needed please - over specify if you can.

There are now ~6 responses above and I'm still not clear on if it's
acceptable to have this link "https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi#verify"
or this link "http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/curator/" on our
downloads page. I now understand that the asc, sha and keys file should
link directly to "https://www.apache.org/dist/curator/..." but I don't know
what is allowed for linking to a mirror page, etc. At this point, I would

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@gmail.com>.
In ORC, we use jekyll to generate the site. One of the advantages is that
we can use templating to make things easier.

We have three states that a release can be in:
* current - the current release artifacts from the mirrors and the
checksums on dist
* stable - the previous minor version, but still on the mirrors and
checksums on dist
* archived - all other releases, with the bits and checksums from the dist
archives

The release table is generated from a yaml file:
https://github.com/apache/orc/blob/master/site/_data/releases.yml

Final result is: https://orc.apache.org/docs/releases.html

.. Owen

Re: Downloads page template needed

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 at 00:21, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 12/21/18 1:14 AM, Jordan Zimmerman wrote:
> > I believe the JClouds download page is _not_ in compliance. Curator was
> > just told:
> >
> > Also the page links directly to
> >> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/curator/
> >> This is not allowed.
>
> Why would that not be allowed? That's exactly what we want you to do.

Yes and no.

Download pages must use specific
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/... links for artifact downloads.

However KEYS, sigs and hashes are not present on the mirrors, so
publishing the generic top-level page effectively bypasses the
verification files.

The archive server is different since that has the KEYS sigs and hashes.

> The one thing we *don't* allow is linking to www.a.o/dist/curator/... as
> that's intended for fallback purposes.

Not quite, since https://www.a.o/dist/curator/... must be used for
KEYS, sigs and hashes.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

On 21/12/2018 00:21, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> On 12/21/18 1:14 AM, Jordan Zimmerman wrote:
>> I believe the JClouds download page is _not_ in compliance. Curator was
>> just told:
>>
>> Also the page links directly to
>>> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/curator/
>>> This is not allowed.
>
> Why would that not be allowed? That's exactly what we want you to do.
> The one thing we *don't* allow is linking to www.a.o/dist/curator/... as
> that's intended for fallback purposes.
The Tomcat pages should be good examples:
src: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk/xdocs/download-90.xml
html:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk/docs/download-90.html

The Curator page is using closer.cgi for the hashes as well as the
actual downloads. Those links eventually end in 404s since we don't
mirror the sigs and hashes.

A separate concern may be that the Curator download page is being served
directly from cwikia.a.o. I'd expect the download page to be served as a
static file from tlp.a.o

JClouds looks good. Files from the mirrors. Sigs and Hashes from dist.a.o

(although the link to github.com/jclouds/jclouds on the homepage looks
wrong)

Mark

Re: Downloads page template needed

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.