Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org> on 2002/01/14 23:09:21 UTC

Don't use APR_POOL_DEBUG

Hi,

Please don't use APR_POOL_DEBUG today.
There is a logic error* in there which I will fix
tomorrow.  Thanks for your patience.

Sander

*) Rendering it totally useless since it also
   aborts on correct usage.

Re: APR_POOL_DEBUG is functioning again WAS: RE: Don't use APR_POOL_DEBUG

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
"Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> As of a recent commit the apr pools debug code is
> functioning again.  I tested it with httpd-2.0 HEAD
> and it works (both tried worker and prefork to see
> if everything goes to the log ok).

I've tried worker with the latest apr_pools.c.  As long as I only have
one concurrent HTTP request it appears to work great :)

With both the plain APR_POOL_DEBUG as well as APR_POOL_DEBUG_VERBOSE
it deadlocks when I have more than one concurrent request.

This is on Solaris.
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: APR_POOL_DEBUG is functioning again WAS: RE: Don't use APR_POOL_DEBUG

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
Hi,

As of a recent commit the apr pools debug code is
functioning again.  I tested it with httpd-2.0 HEAD
and it works (both tried worker and prefork to see
if everything goes to the log ok).

Some hints (that probably change when we move to
a numbered system for selecting the debug mode):

If you want a debug build:
$ CPPFLAGS=-DAPR_POOL_DEBUG ./configure ...
$ make

If you want a verbose debug build:
$ CPPFLAGS=-DAPR_POOL_DEBUG_VERBOSE ./configure ...
$ make

When switching between verbose and regular, only
recompile apr_pools.c and relink:
$ rm srclib/apr/memory/unix/apr_pools.o
$ CPPFLAGS=-DAPR_POOL_DEBUG_VERBOSE make

A tip on starting the server (when verbose debug is on):
# cd <where httpd is installed>
# bin/httpd 2>>logs/error_log

This will put all of the debug output in the log,
even the start of the server (at which time the
log isn't opened, but pools are being created).

Sander

APR_POOL_DEBUG is functioning again WAS: RE: Don't use APR_POOL_DEBUG