Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/12 03:15:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] Mercury Proposal

I have posted a proposal here:
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/ws-sandesha/MercuryProposal

Please edit, improve, or discuss.... I put this in the wiki so that it
could be modified.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Mercury Proposal

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Glen,

*** My 2 cents, YMMV. This is not an intention to start a flame fest. It's a personal opinion ***

FWIW, I am quite tired and fed up of folks who don't actually do the work push things around and nothing ever happens
after a so called decision is made. Case in point, remember the discussion on transports in Axis2/Synapse.

So, if this is what Amila wants to do, am ok. If someone wants to join in, more the merrier and they can actually decide
what to do, when and how. I'd personally like to get this going and get out of the way of the person(s) executing.

So, if the incubator folks are ok and we are legally covered. My personal view is to just get it going and get out of
the way.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> We actually considered this idea in the early phases of Sandesha2. After
> some discussions we thought of going for a Axis2 based one so that we can
> use all the features that are readily available with Axis2. These included
> the context hierarchy, pause/resume functionality, Messages Receivers, AXIOM
> etc.

I  agree with Chamikara.

As I have mention earlier Mercury has two parts. The real implementation of
Mercury/Sandesha2 or any RM implementation depends lot about Axis2
architecture and all the things Chamikara has mentioned. Therefore writting
a Common implementation will be a very complex one. For an example it always
depends on the MessageContext and its properties.

However As I showed earlier, The state machine model (given in simulator)
does not depends on the Axis2. So someone can implement that on top of CXF.

thanks,
Amila.

> Chamikara
>

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> Just FYI:  I'm also quite interested in the idea of a "generic" RM engine
>> that could be plugged in to various stacks/providers.   Things like WSS4J
>> and Neethi have been a big help to CXF (and probably others) specifically
>> because they were "generic" enough to be used outside of Axis.     In the
>> case of WSS4J, it has actually helped the WSS4J community as developers
>> working on CXF stuff have started contributing to WSS4J as well.   Fred
>> Dushin is now a committer on WSS4J specifically due to work integrating it
>> with CXF.  Sandesha could potentially benefit similarly if it can become
>> generic enough to not be considered "just a RM plugin to Axis 2".
>> Basically, this could be an opportunity to expand the Sandesha community,
>> and that's a good thing.
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> pzfreo wrote:
>> >
>> > David
>> >
>> > I want to make it clear that I'm *strongly* hoping that there will be
>> > greater involvement than just one person.
>> >
>> > I also *really* like the idea of building an RM implementation that
>> > has a core model that is not dependent around a specific stack (Axis2,
>> > CXF). I have always believed that there is a space for a really stable
>> > and performant WSRM messaging engine and the Sandesha model - where
>> > the stack is in control and the messaging engine is "just" a set of
>> > handlers just doesn't feel to me like it can compete with a pure
>> > messaging option like ActiveMQ or QPid. So in many ways, starting from
>> > WSRM and treating the problem as "how to build a messaging engine that
>> > also happens to be able to fit into Axis2" would be very interesting
>> > to me.
>> >
>> > I am actually not against having an incubator proposal. The only
>> > challenge with the Incubator is that:
>> > 1) the incubator is fundamentally designed to bootstrap new
>> > communities. If there is an existing community already then it doesn't
>> > necessarily work. I would rather have this discussion on sandesha-dev
>> > than have to somehow encourage everyone from sandesha-dev to start
>> > paying attention to a new list.
>> > 2) The incubator is also about how to get non-Apache members involved.
>> > So far everyone interested in this is already a committer in Apache.
>> > So in fact, labs.apache.org is more appropriate.
>> > 3) The incubator is a hassle. Its a hassle for good reasons and I
>> > strongly support it. But if you don't need that hassle, then you
>> > shouldn't take it!
>> >
>> > How would a design that works across both CXF and Axis2 work? Its an
> [...]

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [DISCUSS] Mercury Proposal

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@gmail.com>.
If we can come up with a good set of interfaces with good compromises I
would completely agree. I wasn't talking about CXF or any specific
implementation.

BTW this was three years back. So things should be different now. :-)

Chamikara

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

+1000 :)

- -- dims

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
David

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Jaliya Ekanayake <jn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Hi Amila,
>
> I have to correct something related to your previous post. This has nothing
> to do with the Mercury effort.
>
> You mentioned,
> AFAIK  Sandesha2 has also started as an Axis2 module by Chamikara.  Then
> people has joined and contributed to it at various times.
>
> It was not like this. When we design Axis2, we all (most of the axis devs)
> discussed the architectures for various modules such as Sandesha. Everybody
> was in agreement with the high-level details of the implementation as well.
> Chamikara and others (Sanka, me ....... (I am sorry if I miss anybody ))
> contributed to the initial code. Then Chamikara pushes it alone and later
> lot of devs joined the effort.

+1
You missed Saminda :-)  He also did initial contributions.

> So, when there is a need people will jump in and I believe that it will the
> same for Mercury as well. As the starting point, I would like to know the
> architecture that you propose for Mercury. (This is not the simulator
> based architecture  but how mercury is implemented as an Axis2 module, the
> handlers to be deployed, message receivers to be used etc...)

+1. I'll also try to spend some cycles in the future.

Chamikara

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Jaliya Ekanayake <jn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Hi Amila,
>
> I have to correct something related to your previous post. This has nothing
> to do with the Mercury effort.
>
> You mentioned,
> AFAIK  Sandesha2 has also started as an Axis2 module by Chamikara.  Then
> people has joined and contributed to it at various times.
>
> It was not like this. When we design Axis2, we all (most of the axis devs)
> discussed the architectures for various modules such as Sandesha. Everybody
> was in agreement with the high-level details of the implementation as well.
> Chamikara and others (Sanka, me ....... (I am sorry if I miss anybody ))
> contributed to the initial code. Then Chamikara pushes it alone and later
> lot of devs joined the effort.

Thank you very much for the correction. I really apologize you. (Of course I
have written it under AFAIK).

> So, when there is a need people will jump in and I believe that it will the
> same for Mercury as well. As the starting point, I would like to know the
> architecture that you propose for Mercury. (This is not the simulator
> based architecture  but how mercury is implemented as an Axis2 module, the
> handlers to be deployed, message receivers to be used etc...)

This is what I mean.
We can divide the Mercury into two parts.
1. The state machine model.
        This is the part which ensure handling unreliability, proper message
flow, in order/exactly one delivery, sequence creation termination etc ...
roughly talking most of the aspects the WS-RM spec talks about. So I think
it is very easy to understand how mercury address those things in the
simulator model.

2. Implementation of this model as an Axis2 Module.
       This is the part where its real implementation happens. To understand
this one should have a proper knowledge about the Axis2 Architecture and its
thread model, object model (Axiom) etc...
if you go to the module.xml file then you can understand what are the
handlers Mercury users and where each handler fit in each message flow.
(input, output and fault flows)

if you go to these handlers you can see it try to figure out the various
event receives using the action. then updates the state machine model
accordingly. First try to figure out the Duplex mode ( not anonymous). Which
is easier.
Any Axis2 module gets the messages from a handler. First Mercury try to
understand the MessageReceived using the Action. And the do the necessary
state machine updates.
There are separate  set of threads called worker threads which do the
appropriate actions on the State machines according to their states.

thanks,
Amila.

--
Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [DISCUSS] Mercury Proposal

    > Glen. I didn't think there was any consensus from the previous
    > discussion (does the word dissensus exist?) :)
    >
    > I am actually pretty happy to do either, I think each approach has +s and -s.
    >
    > On the side of starting from the Mercury codebase, Amila has got it to
    > a point where it satisfies the 1.0 spec, including Replay.
    > On the other hand, Mercury doesn't yet implement 1.1 or
    > MakeConnection, and also it doesn't support transactions yet, so there
    > are some fairly large aspects still to be coded. And starting afresh
    > might well get more involvement from the wider community which I think
    > has been the main pushback on this proposal so far.

    Clearly new code developed here will have far fewer legal issues (e.g.
    the submitted Mercury has a hard LGPL dependency which would need
    ironed out),

  definitely we have to remove the persistence module and re write it using direct JDBC. May be the first step to do if it going to apache. If we think that Mercury without that part, Then this problem is already solved.

    and would hopefully have a cleaner state machine model -
    the Mercury one seems to have compromised for reasons which are pretty
    opaque.

    > I guess one open question is - who is willing to put in the effort to
    > work on this?! If it's just Amila, then starting afresh won't be much
    > benefit, because he will be happier to keep working from the code he
    > has already built.

    I'd certainly be interested in being involved in a new codebase, but
    the amount of time I'd have to devote to it would be limited. If it's
    just Amila, then my "Apache Way Sense" tingles to suggest that this
    isn't really going anywhere in Apache, and probably shouldn't.

  AFAIK  Sandesha2 has also started as an Axis2 module by Chamikara.  Then people has joined and contributed to it at various times. Same thing may happen with the Mercury with the time. As Chamikara did with Sandesha2 I can initiate it with a new design. But this does not mean it will be a one man show for ever.

  thanks,
  Amila.

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Glen. I didn't think there was any consensus from the previous
> > discussion (does the word dissensus exist?) :)
> >
> > I am actually pretty happy to do either, I think each approach has +s and
> -s.
> >
> > On the side of starting from the Mercury codebase, Amila has got it to
> > a point where it satisfies the 1.0 spec, including Replay.
> > On the other hand, Mercury doesn't yet implement 1.1 or
> > MakeConnection, and also it doesn't support transactions yet, so there
> > are some fairly large aspects still to be coded. And starting afresh
> > might well get more involvement from the wider community which I think
> > has been the main pushback on this proposal so far.
>
> Clearly new code developed here will have far fewer legal issues (e.g.
> the submitted Mercury has a hard LGPL dependency which would need
> ironed out),

definitely we have to remove the persistence module and re write it using
direct JDBC. May be the first step to do if it going to apache. If we think
that Mercury without that part, Then this problem is already solved.

and would hopefully have a cleaner state machine model -
> the Mercury one seems to have compromised for reasons which are pretty
> opaque.
>
> > I guess one open question is - who is willing to put in the effort to
> > work on this?! If it's just Amila, then starting afresh won't be much
> > benefit, because he will be happier to keep working from the code he
> > has already built.
>
> I'd certainly be interested in being involved in a new codebase, but
> the amount of time I'd have to devote to it would be limited. If it's
> just Amila, then my "Apache Way Sense" tingles to suggest that this
> isn't really going anywhere in Apache, and probably shouldn't.

AFAIK  Sandesha2 has also started as an Axis2 module by Chamikara.  Then
people has joined and contributed to it at various times. Same thing may
happen with the Mercury with the time. As Chamikara did with Sandesha2 I can
initiate it with a new design. But this does not mean it will be a one man
show for ever.

thanks,
Amila.

> These 2 questions (legal and community) are some of the reasons why
> the Incubator exists, and sort of points me back in that direction.
>
> David
>
> P.S. In writing this, it occurred to me that trying to write a common
> WS-RM kernel that could be used with CXF and Axis2 might be a good
> target, and that too, might point to the Incubator to help build a
> broader community (not a fully formed thought though)
>
> P.P.S. I really like "dissensus"

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [DISCUSS] Mercury Proposal

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Jaliya Ekanayake <jn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> The proposal starts with a "state machine model" which Mercury has come up
> with.
> So can you give little  bit more details on the state machine model that
> you are suggesting?

Please refer to the  Architecture.pdf  under the docs folder of the Mercury
distribution. And also please see the simulator which is under the jira.
That shows how the state machine model works on top of the Axis2 simulator.
Feel free to raise any questions.

thanks,
Amila.

> Thanks,
> Jaliya
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Glen Daniels" <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [DISCUSS] Mercury Proposal

Posted by Jaliya Ekanayake <jn...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul and Amila,

Sure, let me go through the docs and come back to you.

Thanks,
Jaliya
Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
And a link: