Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Chris Rhody <ch...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/24 16:51:40 UTC

product request

Please consider this proposal as it is a way to get productivity software
to a great number of children inexpensively.

I need a version of Open Office that well run on a game console.  xbox or
playstation.  The current iterations may be difficult, but the new versions
due to arrive soon are close to PC hardware.  Perhaps a disk image file we
could burn to DVD.  Both consoles will accept keyboards and at least the
PS4 will accept Printers.  Possibly even wirelessly.

Most families have one of these devices, even if very low income.  A new
computer at the low end costs at least as much as the console.  We are
simply trying to get tools they need for school at what amounts to no cost.

I think this fits well with your mission and is definitely doable.  I'm not
sure how helpful Microsoft would be, with a competing product.  SONY,
however, should at least treat it like any game in development and offer
some assistance.  Every title adds value to the console.

Chris Rhody

Re: product request

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
AFAIK there were linux distributions created for XBox and PS4, but
they needed of some hardware modification
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OtherOS
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Linux

If you can get linux on the machines, this would be possible.

Fortunately there are many open hardware like raspberry pi or
beagleboard that will help you get free software to many kids.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4809

I think there is a school version of debian called skolelinux, not
sure if it's been tested for raspberry pi, but raspbian definetly
includes OpenOffice.
sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
or through the openoffice version for debian (not sure if it's been
tested for ARM processors).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/apacheoo-deb/files/debian/

--
Alexandro Colorado