Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sai Prasanna <an...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/05 20:29:37 UTC

App Master issue.

Hi,

I have a five node cluster. One master and 4 slaves. Infact master also has
a data node running. When ever app master is launched in the master node,
simple wordcount program runs fine. But if it is launched in some slave
nodes, the progress of the application gets hung.
The problem is, though i have set the yarn.resourcemanager.hostname to the
ip-address of the master, the slave connects only to the default,
0.0.0.0:8030.
What could be the reason ???

I get the following message in the logs of app.master in web-UI.
*"...Configuration: job.xml:an attempt to override final parameter:
mapreduce.job.end-notification.max.retry.interval;  Ignoring.*

*2014-03-05 20:15:50,597 WARN [main] org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration:
job.xml:an attempt to override final parameter:
mapreduce.job.end-notification.max.attempts;  Ignoring.2014-03-05
20:15:50,603 INFO [main] org.apache.hadoop.yarn.client.RMProxy: Connecting
to ResourceManager at /0.0.0.0:8030 <http://0.0.0.0:8030>2014-03-05
20:15:56,632 INFO [main] org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client: Retrying connect to
server: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:8030 <http://0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:8030>. Already tried 0
time(s); retry policy is RetryUpToMaximumCountWithFixedSleep(maxRetries=10,
sleepTime=1000 MILLISECONDS)"*

--
*Sai Prasanna. AN*
*II M.Tech (CS), SSSIHL*

*Entire water in the ocean can never sink a ship, Unless it gets inside.All
the pressures of life can never hurt you, Unless you let them in.*

Re: App Master issue.

Posted by Sai Prasanna <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi MJ, Extremely sorry for a late response...Had some infrastructure issues
here...

I am using Hadoop 2.3.0. Actually when i was trying to solve this AppMaster
issue, i came up with a strange observation. "STICKY SLOT" of app-master to
only the data node at the Master node if i set the following parameters
along with *yarn.resourcemanager.hostname*

*yarn.resourcemanager.address to master:8034*
*yarn.resourcemanager.scheduler.address to master:8030*
*yarn.resourcemanager.resource-tracker.address to master:8025  *across all
the slave nodes.
The default values can be found here...
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.2.0/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-common/yarn-default.xml

I came up with this strange observation though...If i dont set this 3
values i had described above, always in the slave nodes if the appmaster is
launced, it tries connecting to the resource manager to the default 0.0.0.0
and not to the specified one. But with this values set, app-master is
always launced in the master and everything seems fine...So i brought the
datanode in the master down and checked as to what is happening...

Strange, the jobs are not even assigned to any appmaster...but i think
appmaster doesnt have any property of getting sticky...resource manager
looks for a free container and goes ahead launching it...

So now these things needs to be resolved:
1) Why does it work fine if the 3 mentioned values are set in the slave
nodes and app master gets launced only in the master node'
2) If no data node is there in the master, then application doesnt get
assigned at all to any app master.

I have attached my config files for your reference...[Renamed for better
reading n understanding]

Thanks for your response !!

Re: App Master issue.

Posted by Sai Prasanna <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: App Master issue.

Posted by Sai Prasanna <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: App Master issue.

Posted by Sai Prasanna <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: App Master issue.

Posted by Mingjiang Shi <ms...@gopivotal.com>.

--
Cheers
-MJ

Re: App Master issue.

Posted by Mingjiang Shi <ms...@gopivotal.com>.

--
Cheers
-MJ

Re: App Master issue.

Posted by Mingjiang Shi <ms...@gopivotal.com>.

--
Cheers
-MJ

Re: App Master issue.

Posted by Mingjiang Shi <ms...@gopivotal.com>.

--
Cheers
-MJ

Re: App Master issue.

Posted by Mingjiang Shi <ms...@gopivotal.com>.
Hi Sai,

Re: App Master issue.

Posted by Xuan Gong <xg...@hortonworks.com>.
The message means it can not connect to ResourceManager.
Could you share your configuration ? It might be easier to figure out the
real issue.

Thanks

Xuan Gong

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Sai Prasanna <an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a five node cluster. One master and 4 slaves. Infact master also
> has a data node running. When ever app master is launched in the master
> node, simple wordcount program runs fine. But if it is launched in some
> slave nodes, the progress of the application gets hung.
> The problem is, though i have set the yarn.resourcemanager.hostname to the
> ip-address of the master, the slave connects only to the default,
> 0.0.0.0:8030.
> What could be the reason ???
>
> I get the following message in the logs of app.master in web-UI.
> *"...Configuration: job.xml:an attempt to override final parameter:
> mapreduce.job.end-notification.max.retry.interval;  Ignoring.*
>

> *2014-03-05 20:15:50,597 WARN [main] org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration:
> job.xml:an attempt to override final parameter:
> mapreduce.job.end-notification.max.attempts;  Ignoring. 2014-03-05
> 20:15:50,603 INFO [main] org.apache.hadoop.yarn.client.RMProxy: Connecting
> to ResourceManager at /0.0.0.0:8030 <http://0.0.0.0:8030>2014-03-05
> 20:15:56,632 INFO [main] org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client: Retrying connect to
> server: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:8030 <http://0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:8030>. Already tried 0
> time(s); retry policy is RetryUpToMaximumCountWithFixedSleep(maxRetries=10,
> sleepTime=1000 MILLISECONDS)"*
>

> --
> *Sai Prasanna. AN*
> *II M.Tech (CS), SSSIHL*
>

> *Entire water in the ocean can never sink a ship, Unless it gets inside.
> All the pressures of life can never hurt you, Unless you let them in.*

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: App Master issue.

Posted by Mingjiang Shi <ms...@gopivotal.com>.