Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mitya <mi...@cargosoft.ru> on 2004/12/04 06:27:41 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_proxy_ajp experience

Hi all,

I'm now trying 2.0.52 with mod_proxy_ajp from the SVN trunk (compiles
OK, just made two small patches, concerning APR_DECLARE_OPTIONAL_FN and
ap_log_cerror). MandrakeLinux 10.0, kernel 2.6.3, glibc 2.3.3, gcc
3.3.2.

I was hoping the brand new mod_proxy_ajp should finally help me to solve
that well-known problem of "mounting" Tomcat web-app from, say,
http://myhost:8080/foo to http://myhost/bar/baz/ (or any location other
than /foo) via AJP. This problem has no solution with mod_jk2 +
mod_rewrite because URLs do not rich mod_jk2's handler after they are
processed with mod_rewrite (either with [PT] at the end of RewriteRule
or without). Also, mod_proxy_http is inacceptable: web-apps lose some
important information (client IP, original URL) if our connections are
proxied through HTTP.

Seems like mod_proxy_ajp is not a cure either. :(

Are the wollowing statement pairs supposed to yield the same?

ProxyPass /bar ajp://myhost:8009/foo
ProxyPassReverse /bar ajp://myhost:8009/foo

and

ProxyPass /baz http://myhost:8080/foo
ProxyPassReverse /baz http://myhost:8080/foo

In the first case, we receive "404 - /bar" from Tomcat.
The second case gives us just what we want (the contents of /foo webapp
under /baz location), but in fact it isn't (proxied connection - see
above).

Again, mod_rewrite doesn't work with the new mod_proxy_ajp. I've tried

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule /bar(.*) /foo$1 [PT]
ProxyPass /foo ajp://myhost:8009/foo
ProxyPassReverse /foo ajp://myhost:8009/foo

(with or without [PT]) and

RewriteRule /bar(.*) ajp://myhost:8009/foo$1 [P]

Both combinations do not work.

Does anyone have similar experience with mod_proxy_ajp, and probably
someone possesses a solution?

Would it be better to cross-post this to devel mailing list?

Thanks!
Dimitri

Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy_ajp experience

Posted by "John P. Dodge" <do...@cruciate.ca.boeing.com>.
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Mitya wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> Seems like mod_proxy_ajp is not a cure either. :(
>
> Are the wollowing statement pairs supposed to yield the same?
>
> ProxyPass /bar ajp://myhost:8009/foo
> ProxyPassReverse /bar ajp://myhost:8009/foo
>
> and
>
> ProxyPass /baz http://myhost:8080/foo
> ProxyPassReverse /baz http://myhost:8080/foo
>
> In the first case, we receive "404 - /bar" from Tomcat.
> The second case gives us just what we want (the contents of /foo webapp
> under /baz location), but in fact it isn't (proxied connection - see
> above).
>
> Again, mod_rewrite doesn't work with the new mod_proxy_ajp. I've tried
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule /bar(.*) /foo$1 [PT]
> ProxyPass /foo ajp://myhost:8009/foo
> ProxyPassReverse /foo ajp://myhost:8009/foo

There has been a number of threads on the tomcat-users list about
compiling, configuring and using mod_proxy_ajp.

"Mon aƩroglisseur est plein d'anguilles"
John P. Dodge
Boeing Shared Services