Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by José Manuel Abuín Mosquera <ab...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/03 11:02:12 UTC

Implementing linear albegra operations in the distributed linalg package

Hello,

I would like to add some linear algebra operations to all the
DistributedMatrix classes that Spark actually handles (CoordinateMatrix,
BlockMatrix, IndexedRowMatrix and RowMatrix), but first I would like do
ask if you consider this useful. (For me, it is)

Of course, these operations will be distributed, but they will rely on
the local implementation of mllib linalg. For example, when multiplying
an IndexedRowMatrix by a DenseVector, the multiplication of one of the
matrix rows by the vector will be performed by using the local
implementation

What is your opinion about it?

Thank you

--
Jos� Manuel Abu�n Mosquera
Pre-doctoral researcher

http://citius.usc.es/equipo/investigadores-en-formacion/josemanuel.abuin
http://jmabuin.github.io

Re: Implementing linear albegra operations in the distributed linalg package

Posted by Joseph Bradley <jo...@databricks.com>.
I agree that more distributed matrix ops would be good to have, but I think
there are a few things which need to happen first:
* Now that the spark.ml package has local linear algebra separate from the
spark.mllib package, we should migrate the distributed linear algebra
implementations over to spark.ml.
* This migration will require a bit of thinking about what the API should
look like.  Should it use Datasets?  If so, are there missing requirements
to fix within Datasets or local linear algebra?

I just created a JIRA; let's discuss more there:

Thanks for bringing this up!
Joseph