Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chaitanya Sabbineni <sa...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/31 17:18:01 UTC

Tomcat is starting but unable to launch homepage in Linux. When launched from a browser from local machine it keep on rotating.

Hi All,

Can anyone please help me with the issue

I installed tomcat on Linux server and I deployed my application on tomcat.
Tomcat is starting fine and I can confirm this as in the tomcat log I can
see server started in 1234 milliseconds.
When I try to launch the tomcat homepage from my local machine it not
opening but keep on rotating.

I configured tomcat to listen on port 8083.
I executed the command curl -v http:// verb.pass.com:8083 and I am able to
get response.

Even I tried wget http:// verb.pass.com:8083 and I got response too.

When I tried telnet to the port from my local machine it's failed.
telnet verb.pass.com 8083

Failed on port 8083.

Can anyone please let me know why I am not able to launch the home page.

Thanks & Regards,
Chaitanya

RE: Tomcat is starting but unable to launch homepage in Linux. When launched from a browser from local machine it keep on rotating.

Posted by Darvi Gill <Da...@jeppesen.com>.
Yes.

 Firewall maybe blocking access to the ports local on the server and external. Depending on the version of Linux

The command will stop the firewall; until you start it again "systemctl start  firewalld"  or  reboot server.

This is the command to disable:  systemctl disbale firewalld
Posted by Chaitanya Sabbineni <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Darvi Gill <Da...@jeppesen.com>.

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.
If you are using Ubuntu Linux, I am assuming that you have a desktop
option? If so, could you open a browser and check if you can use
localhost:8083 to see if the page loads from the box itself.

How have you configured your server.xml file? without looking at the
server.xml it's not clear how you have configured it? What you are
mentioning above is the responsiveness of the server url against the port
number. But I cannot see anywhere the web deployment directory structure
i.e. how your welcome file and everything is configured to be loaded.

Kindest Regards,

Posted by Chaitanya Sabbineni <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Chaitanya,

On 7/31/2017 10:34 AM, Chaitanya Sabbineni wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Even though I use tomcat default port 8080 it's the same I am able to do
> wget and curl but when launching the ui from local Windows machine it's
> keep on rotating but never opens
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 11:00 pm M. Manna, <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What happens if you use the Tomcat default settings - not using 8083 port?
>> Does that work?
>>
>> On 31 July 2017 at 18:18, Chaitanya Sabbineni <sa...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Can anyone please help me with the issue
>>>
>>> I installed tomcat on Linux server and I deployed my application on
>> tomcat.
>>> Tomcat is starting fine and I can confirm this as in the tomcat log I can
>>> see server started in 1234 milliseconds.
>>> When I try to launch the tomcat homepage from my local machine it not
>>> opening but keep on rotating.
>>>
>>> I configured tomcat to listen on port 8083.
>>> I executed the command curl -v http:// verb.pass.com:8083 and I am able
>>> get response.
>>>
>>> Even I tried wget http:// verb.pass.com:8083 and I got response too.
>>>
>>> When I tried telnet to the port from my local machine it's failed.
>>> telnet verb.pass.com 8083
>>>
>>> Failed on port 8083.
>>>
>>> Can anyone please let me know why I am not able to launch the home page.
>>>
>>> Thanks & Regards,
>>> Chaitanya

Silly question: Is verb.pass.com in DNS anywhere?

If not, you'll have to edit your Windows host file to include the IP
address.

Also, as others have pointed out you may have a firewall issue that
prevents remote connections to port 8080 (or 8083).

. . . just my two cents
/mde/

Posted by Chaitanya Sabbineni <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,